A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I had my last menstrual cycle on February 23rd of this year.

I had my last menstrual cycle on February 23rd of this year. I took a pregnancy test at the Dr.'s office on April 27th. It came back negative. My abdomen is swollen and I have noticed this within the past week and a half. It seems to be getting larger. I have had unprotected intercourse for the past few months with one partner. The last time I had sex was on April 26th. The Dr.'s office suggested I wait two weeks without intercourse and re-test, but I am concerned with my swollen abdomen. Could there be another cause or is it possible that the pregnancy is not showing up yet?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. The swelling is probably from something other than pregnancy (weight gain, bloating, gas). If you were pregnant, you would be 9 and 1/2 weeks today, nine weeks on the 27th of April. Pregnancy tests will detect pregnancy at 5 weeks (March 29). If your physician had any idea that you were pregnant s/he would have ordered an ultrasound to confirm it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm just wondering if there is a related reason to my missed period and my swollen abdomen? Can you help me with that? Just wondering if it could be something more serious. I did not meet with the dr. on my last visit. It was a day when they do free preg. test and I believe I spoke to a Med Student or Nurse. Thanks.

Also I have had more frequent urination probably within the past month.

A missing period can come from stress, emotional problems, infection, illness, thyroid or pituitary hormone problem, ovarian cysts (PCOS) and any number of other things. You will need to have a complete exam to find out why you aren't having periods and solve the problem of the swollen abdomen.