911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

my shins..long pants or shin pads when i go hiking and am very careful

the flesh on my shins is very thin and prone to getting infected from the smallest scratch. how can i improve circulation? i now wear long pants or shin pads when i go hiking and am very careful of them . i dont have dibetes but it takes months for injuries to shins to heal.

911Doctor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911Doctor :

How exactly can I help?

911Doctor :

I don't see a question here.... Are you wondering why your skin is like this? How old are you and are you an insulin dependent diabetic or an adult onset diabetic?

911Doctor :

What other medical problems do you have?

Customer:

the question is can i improve circulation to my shins ? i do not have diabetes . that was first thing my dr. checked when it took so long to heal. i have had this problem many times in my life

911Doctor :

Two more questions for you... How old are you and do you smoke?

911Doctor :

Many times as we age people develop what is called 'venous stasis'... the can be caused by a decreased in heart function and a loss of elasticity in the blood vessels of the lower legs.

911Doctor :

Do your legs hurt when you walk for a while?

911Doctor :

Standing by.

Customer:

i am 58 yrs old . i quit smoking 30 months ago. i walk about 90 min. most days and my legs do not hurt

911Doctor :

then you need to have an ultrasound study of your lower extremities performed and this would be best be done under the supervision of a good internal medicine physician or a good vascular surgeon. the ulrtasound will allow us to see the blood flow inside the legs... for some reason, yet to be determined, the blood flow to your lower extremities is poor, but it does not appear to be do to a blockage higher up as you do not have pain with walking.

911Doctor :

as far as what to do for right now, not knowing the cause, it's a hard question to answer. you have already done a lot for yourself by stopping smoking and walking. keep up the walking, and at the end of the day make sure you spend some time with your legs elevated.

911Doctor :

but the key is to figure out why you have venous stasis.

911Doctor :

some causes can be treated, some can not.

911Doctor :

please let me know if you have any more questions.