CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

what is are the following tests used for -monoclonal, total

what is are the following tests used for:
-monoclonal, total protein
-alpha2 globulin
-c3d immune complex
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. Monoclonal protein can signify multiple myeloma, systemic amyloidosis. lupus or other processes...Alpha2 globulin can signify lupus, multiple myeloma,heart diesase, kidney disease and more and c3d can signify lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and others. your Doctor may be trying to rule out lupus or another autoimmune disease.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had a vaccine (hep b) in NOV2010...according to both my neuro and rhem they feel I had an adverse reaction. They are just not sure what and how to treat.

The tests that I asked about came back "mildly elevated" except the c3d test...it was very high. I also had a high CK test and high ASO titer.

Any idea what would cause these tests to show something while other more specific tests for lupus and RA are negative?

Thanks for your answer.
The reason they feel you had an adverse reaction to the Hep B is because these elevations indicate an autoimmune process... which may be the case in just such an instance.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They want to treat the high ASO titer level which was 800 with an antibiotic called Augmentin.

I am not sure if my current symptoms (which are very muscle/neurological based) are from the Strep antibody levels or the vaccine.

From your experience have you seen/heard/read either a vaccine or strep antibodies causing an autoimmune response? If so in your opinion can they be treated or is this permanent?
Yes, Immunologic issues , specifically systemic lupus as well as lupus-like syndrome ...that did resolve in about a year. I think Augmentin is worth a try.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank so much!!