CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

hello How do I know/tell if I have just a sprain or have

Customer Question

hello: How do I know/tell if I have "just a sprain" or have fractured my finger/hand? Early yesterday am, I lifted a large 30gal bag filled w/paper trash using my right hand by the plastic handles and the handles snapped/broked due to heavy weight. Not long after this I felt pain in my fingers mostly middle (or 2nd finger) right below the 3rd knuckle or pad area. It looked a little swollen and was very tender. As day progressed my hand became increasing sore and is very painful to touch on a certain spot just what would be directly below that "third knuckle where the finger attaches to hand. It this spot is touched or rubbed, the pain increases significantly and while I can slowly straighten my hand/fingers, I have difficulty bending this finger toward the inside palm (inward). Also, my fingers feel cold as compared to other hand and this "pain" radiates up fingers and down fingers/palm and into wrist/arm. I have tried applying ice to area, but it is painful. Since it is the weekend, I'd rather not go to ED if only strained and can wait until monday. Advise? Thank you!
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. The pain and tenderness may be due to a strain from what happened. Treatment is ice to the area and anti inflammatories such as ibuprofen per package directions as well as avoidance of any movement that would cause pain. If you follow these measures it should clear up in a few days to a couple of weeks. If it continues to bother you, see your Doctor for an examination and treatment.I hope this informatiton helps you. If I can help you further, just let me know.