Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Assistant Professor OB/GYN with 40 years of experience. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
12995549

My wifes left side of her Vagina lip has recently become swollen

Customer Question

My wife's left side of her Vagina lip has recently become swollen and extremely sore......she can hardly walk and it is painful to wipe. Any suggestions ( this is not a joke) thank you!
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.

Customer:

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today.is there a lump? any drainage?

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today.is there a lump? any drainage? I can help you with this.. please respond when you are back online.
Expert:  Alan Gibstein, M.D. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JA; Is important to differentiate between two conditions. If there are sores, ulcers, oozing lesions on the surface, this could be Herpes and a culture and treatment should be begun by a gynecologist ASAP. If the skin is normal, than this sounds like she has a Bartholin gland duct cyst with infection. She needs to be seen as quickly as possible for antibiotics and possible drainage, If she is in that much pain and a GYN visit is not immediately possible, use the ER. Occasionally these cysts will drain on their own with frequent hot tub baths or hot, moist compresses. Good luck