Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

MY DAUGHTER IS 35 AND HAS DECIDED SHE WANTS NO MORE CHILDREN.SHE

MY DAUGHTER IS 35 AND HAS DECIDED SHE WANTS NO MORE CHILDREN.SHE THINKS SHE WANTS A TUBAL LIGATION TO BE RID OF BIRTH CONTROL ISSUES. I FEEL THAT MAY BE AN UNNECESSARY SURGERY. IS IT COMMOM FOR WOMEN OF THAT AGE TO HAVE TUBES TIED? WITH SO MANY OPTIONS AVAILABLE TODAY I WONDER IF THE SURGERY IS STILL COMMON?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Pauline :

Female sterilization still happens especially if the woman has a large family and is certain that her family is not complete, however one popular option is the Mirena coil which offers long term protection against pregnancy and lighter periods. However should circumstances change and she wants to add to her family then the coil can be removed at that point.

Pauline :

She should make an appointment with her family doctor or a family planning center to discuss all her options. She may find that it is quicker to organise the Mirena than the sterilization.

Pauline :

Sorry that first statement should have read 'certain that her family is NOW complete'

Customer:

is there side effects with IUD

Pauline :

Sterilization is not usually reversible.

Pauline :

The main side effects are erratic periods for the first three months, and it can cause some cramping when inserted

Pauline :

However it is very popular due to the effects on periods.

Customer:

does it effect having sex?

Pauline :

No, her partner should not be aware that she has it in place. A small thread is left through the cervix, but this will not interfere with intercourse at all.

Customer:

do women usually follow mother when going into change of life. Most women in my family did not stop period until about 54 so I think the IUD might be a good option. Will a doc discuss options if she says she want a tubal?

Pauline :

Most doctors these days will want to discuss all the options, much will depend on the individual circumstances but the tubal will have increased risks due to needing anaesthetic, so they do try and avoid where possible now.

Customer:

thanks for the info...I was worried about that anaesthetic issue

Pauline :

I'm sure she will consider the Mirena then better option. Its a simple clinic visit with one follow up to check its in place.

Customer:

I am going to share this info before she goes back to the doctor