CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

Hello, I have been dealing with sharp stomach pains, swelling

I have been dealing with sharp stomach pains, swelling in the lower left abdomen for about 4 months now. Each time I go to the doctor or surgeon, I am told to give it time. I have had blood work done four times, all coming in good. I have had two CT scans (that may show epiploic appendagitis), and a Normal Colonoscopy (performed days ago). During the first month I took a course of two week antibiotics (which didn't do anything).

From everything I have read, PEA should not last this long. I have dealt with the pain for a very long time. Should this diagnosis be taking this long, and what is my best course of action? I have to work with Air Force General Surgeons, and I am stationed overseas.

I am 27
Very active
Don't Smoke
Rarely Drink
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. What do you mean by PEA? I am only familiar with a cardiac meaning of this abbreviation.

Customer:

Sorry, I meant Epiploic appendagitis

CamilleRN :

Thank you. What kind of treatment did they offer you...what are you taking for it?

CamilleRN :

This condition usually resolves in a couple of weeks or less.... treatment is usually nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories ( Such as ibuprofen). Since this continues to be a problem and you have had various testing to rule out other possibilities, I think you may need to on physical limitation, as in no exercise activity until it resolves.

Customer:

They just offered me the initial round of Anti Biotics, not sure what kind.

Customer:

I have Motrin, for the anti-inflamitory. I will ask to be put on limitations again, however, during this day and age, it's hard to get put on workout limitations.

Customer:

I am just concerend that this has been going on so long and I am really unable to do the things that I enjoy.

CamilleRN :

If they investigated it thoroughly and everything else has been ruled out... I would want to ask WHY is it going on for this long?

CamilleRN :

Are you on a bowel regimen? I would recommend something that will keep you regular to avoid even more discomfort such as gas.

Try this, drink least 8 glasses of water per day. Purchase Bio- K ( available in the cold case of health food stores) , which is an excellent probiotic that will not only help with regularity but also improve your immune system, also purchase Benefiber..( Over the counter) and take it per package directions. This combined with Bio K will promote regular, productive, well formed, easy to pass stools and help eliminate any bowel problems that could be contributing to this situation.