911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

tell me can we choose gender of baby will going for ivf

Customer Question

Plz explain the ivf method. also can u tell me can we choose gender of the baby  while going for ivf
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 5 years ago.

911Doctor :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911Doctor :

Yes, but the procedure involves sperm selection and is quite costly....

911Doctor :

What are the methods of gender selection?

Preimplantation genetic disease (PGD)

The method of choice in gender selection is preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) using FISH or PCR techniques. It is a reliable method, but it does involve a costly and an invasive in-vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment.

Seperation of sperm

The separation of sperm bearing X and Y chromosomes may also be used for sex selection. This technique exploits the fact that sperm carrying the Y male chromosome is smaller and faster than the female chromosome X. Sperm separation techniques have improved greatly over the past few years. Currently, the method of choice is microsort sperm separation. It yields an accuracy rate of over 90% for X chromosomes, and over 80% for Y chromosome. The woman is then artificially inseminated with the chosen batch of sperm. These techniques are noninvasive and less costly compared to PGD. Currently there is no data available regarding the long-term risk of flow cytometry.

911Doctor :

from this website...

911Doctor :

http://www.ivf-infertility.com/infertility/sex_selection.php

911Doctor :

or, if genetic testing on the embryos are performed during the IVF procedure the male sex embryos can be selectively implanted...

911Doctor :

http://www.ivf-infertility.com/ivf/pgd.php

911Doctor :

Your IVF doctor can answer your questions regarding the possibilities.....

911Doctor :

I do believe that it will add to the cost.....

911Doctor :

And many physicians who do IVF do not offer sex selections......

911Doctor :

To summarize.... It is possible as detailed above... If it is available to you with your IVF physician and how much it would cost are things I can not answer.

911Doctor :

Best of luck to you.

911Doctor :

And thank you for your business.

JACUSTOMER-t4ou9ulq- :

can u suggest a medical institute where doctors give the choice of gender selection

911Doctor : I'm afraid that I would have a hard time doing that if you were her in the US... How have you searched in India?