Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I was given amoxicillin (I believe not penicillin ) recently

I was given amoxicillin (I believe? not penicillin?) recently for a bacterial infection that was not specifically identified but that came out negative on a rapid strep. (I did have the white "puss" spots on the back of my throat.) I did the thing I know you're not supposed to do - I took the medicine for a few days as I knew I should, and then started forgetting to take it because I felt so much better and was doing so many other things. Twice now I've started to feel it coming back and gotten back on track with the amox, but I have one pill left and I cannot find it at the moment. I found an old amox (500mg) prescription that expired just about 11 months ago, and I'm afraid to prescribe for myself, but I'm thinking that I really need to take some more medicine asap! Should I take some of this old prescription, and if so, how much?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 years ago.

I would advise to get it checked again by doctor.

He can repeat the test & also culture if he feels.

When you have discontinued it, the medicine may not be effective or there can be development of resistance.

The doctor can decide whether to continue with same antibiotic or prescribe another.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. I do have a big event tomorrow and as short-sighted as this sounds, I want to feel a bit better for it if possible, even if I have a more complicated situation afterward. Is it likely that taking the amoxicillin now would do the trick?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 years ago.
Antibiotics can take some time to take effect.

It sometimes take 48 hours or more.