Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

3 days ago I noticed what looked like 2 small welts in my throat

I have a sore throat with slight drainage. This has been going on for about 2 weeks now. When I looked in my throat about 3 days ago I noticed what looked like 2 small welts in my throat that I have never seen before, so I am sure they are not normal. I looked again yesterday and they seemed larger and one is whitish in the middle. Should i be concerned about this? And could it be contagious? I work with children in a child care and don't want to spread anything to them. Mostly am wondering if I should go to a walk-in clinic tomorrow or wait until Monday after work to see my normal Dr.

Do you have a fever?
Swollen glands?
Cough?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have a fever, the highest it's been is 99.6 and I don't think my glands are swollen, though I always have a hard time telling on myself.
I do have a cough, it started yesterday (Friday) morning
Thank you for clarifying,

It does not sound like strep throat if you do not have a fever or swollen glands.
Cough also makes strep much less likely.

The white area on the throat may indicate a viral infection. If it looks like an ulcer (has a canker sore appearance), then it is viral.

If it looks more like a whitish yellow chalky substance, you may have a tonsillolith, which is a collection of cells, debris and bacteria that get caught in the crypts of the tonsils. These are not contagious.

If you have a viral infection, it is spread through respiratory droplets, sharing glasses, kissing, etc. Washing hands and not sharing utensils should help to prevent spread.

If the children touch your face/nose/mouth frequently, you may want to have your doctor (or urgent care) check you out before returning to work. He/she may confirm it is viral and advise you to stay home a few days depending on what your throat looks like.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know it is not tonsillolith, I have seen those before and this definitely isn't that. Plus I don't have my tonsils anymore.
The welt things are on the back of my throat, not near where my tonsils used to be, raised in appearance and almost look like enlarged hives. There are two distinct spots and both are fairly large, about 1/2 inch long
I still think bacterial infection is much less likely given lack of fever/swollen glands.

It is most likely viral but given what you are describing, I would have someone take a look before you return to work. Postnasal drainage itself can cause some enlargement of the tissues in the throat, but that is typically in the very back (where the drainage runs down). The enlarged tissue can look like pink, smooth spots.

Dr Abby

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you!
You are welcome,

Enjoy your Sunday and I hope that you feel better,

Dr Abby