Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

Im 7 weeks pregnant with my first baby..sexual intercourse

Hi there! I'm 7 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I had sexual intercourse on 23 April, 2011 and I started to bleed after that. I went to the doctor. They did an ultra sound and the embryo was fine and the doctor placed me on bed rest. I am still bleeding though and it is very scary although it is light (it goes from dark brown then its light pink, but not bright red). I would like to know how long does this last and if there is anything I can do to stop it. I am taking folic acid along with my prenatal vitamin. Does this affect this situation at all? I really want my baby to be ok! Please help! Many Thanks.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
When was your last ultrasound?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My last Ultra Sound was on Saturday 23 April.
How much bleeding - can you quantify it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's not that heavy, but I've noticed that if I stand for a long period of time and lay on my right side (as I did today), the bleeding was more and of a dark red color...almost brown and it was quite 'smelly' it was old.
Are you planning on another ultrasound this week?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I am...most definitely
AT this point it is really difficult to say exactly what is happening as you need to have a second ultrasound to see if all is well - and this could be a sign of a miscarriage - but this could a normal pregnancy and the smell/ odor could be just old blood as old blood could smell.
But, you should be evaluated for an infection such as BV - bacterial vaginosis.
I hope this helps, if you have more questions, please ask