Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

my wifes left foot and ankle is swollen starting to go above

my wife's left foot and ankle is swollen starting to go above the ankle, this has been going on for a week. she has had swelling in the same foot in the past but her MD said it was just a sprain. But now its as if fluid is perfusing from the cell, edema. Have scheduled a appoint but she cant be seen til Tuesday. I have had her keep her foot elevated and iced and taking aleve to help with the swelling with minimum results. Can you help me with this, and by the way she is 45 white other wise good health goes to the gym 4 times a week no new meds being taken just had physical and was good

Is there any pain, redness or change of temperature? Is there any other symptom? Is she on any medication? Is there any other significant past illness?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no change in meds, it is tender to touch applying pressure to the foot, no past significant illness, she is on her feet all day at work, White collar job wears low heels

Pain is only at the ankle not the foot even though foot and toes are swollen as well, no chaneg in temp of foot

Thank you for the input,

The swelling of the ankle & feet is due to collection of fluid. Typically it develops in these parts of the body due to gravity. There are different causes of swollen feet. Sometimes it may occur without any disease due to prolonged standing. Other causes may be the diseases of the heart, kidney, liver, lymphatic obstruction, venous insufficiency, low blood protein etc. In one foot & ankle local factor like venous or lymphatic obstruction or clot needs to be ruled out. On the other hand with pain it can be due to an inflammation like arthritis. I would advise to get her examined in an urgent care or ER

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.