Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I have been on Advair for 3 years because 2 years after I moved

I have been on Advair for 3 years because 2 years after I moved to Michigan, discovered many allergies. My 1st scratch test determined I was dermographic so had to have blood work to confirm I am allergic to many many things. The Advair helps me tremendously especially in the spring and fall. Now I had complete blood work and found that my liver enzymes were elevated (132). I have an appt next week to see what my options are as I haven't tried anything else but the Advair. What are your thoughts?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 years ago.

Advair can cause the liver enzymes levels to be elevated.

In most cases they were reported to be transient.

You may need follow up tests.

Any other causes for its elevation needs to be ruled out.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What other reasons would cause this elevation? Is it normal to use Advair for allergies? My allergist told me in the beginning that he wanted me off in 2 years but then I was laid off without insurance so I never followed through with making a change. Due to the cost of Advair, I was able to receive it for a very low price due to low income.

By the way, my liver enzymes were in the 60's prior to Advair.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 years ago.
Usually in alcohol intake, the liver enzymes are raised other than any diseased condition.

Other common diseases which can increase the liver enzymes are nonalcoholic hepatitis, infection, medicines, gall bladder disease, genetic, autoimmune and inherited diseases.

Advair can relieve bronchospasm & breathing difficulty.

In allergy there can be such symptoms.

Your doctor possibly gave it relieve those.

If you do not have any symptom of allergy now then you can take a consultation with a doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I had my gall bladder removed about 10 years ago. Wouldn't be alcohol related. My allergies are bad now and then in October, November.

Is there a test the dr. will run to verify that it is or is not the advair? or is it by process of elimination?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 years ago.
Some conditions like hepatitis, cirrhosis of liver or gall stone problems can be diagnosed with other tests like ultrasound, hepatitis profile etc.

Drug or medicine related ones are mostly diagnosed by process of exclusion.