Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

can you get basal cell carcinoma (BCC) and squamous cell carcinoma

can you get basal cell carcinoma (BCC) and squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) on your stomach/sides

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

It would be possible to get these skin cancers on the abdomen or sides BUT not very common.

Customer:

hello

Customer:

i have a red mark on my side and im scared incase it may be cancer

Anthony Bray MD :

These skin cancers are more likely to occur in the highest sun exposed areas on the skin.

Anthony Bray MD :

You may have a dermatlogist take a look at the lesion to determine what it is. Can you be more specific as to its size, appearance, how long present, any change over time, and any associated symptoms such as itching or bleeding?

Customer:

there is no itch or bleeding it is redish/pink and there is like 3 little bumps, its small it is under half an inch

Customer:

although when i feel it, it feels smooth so i cant feel the bumps

Customer:

i just see it

Customer:

just feels like one bump

Anthony Bray MD :

It is likely a benign type lesion. It is difficult to judge a skin lesion without being able to see it. I don't think it anything urgent but have your doctor take a look at the next visit you have.

Customer:

ok so doesn't sound like anything too serious then ?

Anthony Bray MD :

No I don't think so. If you notice it change over a relatively short amount of time then this would be one of the suspicious behaviors to be on the look out for.

Customer:

when you say short amount of time? how many hours/days are we talking ?

Anthony Bray MD :

Oh within 6 months. Most benign lesions might change very gradually over time. You can have simple moles that will gradually change as the years go by but you would not typically notice change in benign lesions within a few weeks or months,

Anthony Bray MD :

Rpaid change is one of the suspicious behaviors to be on the watch for.

Customer:

could benign lesions become cancer later on then?

Anthony Bray MD :

You can also have things that come and go such as an insect bite with an inflammatory response. So the factor of change may itself still be OK. These type things are typically going to flare iup and then resolve in a short amount of time.

Customer:

and is it possible to spot this way ahead of time say if i was to get checked at the doctors ?

Anthony Bray MD :

Well I think it a good idea to have it looked at at some point as a measure of safety.

Anthony Bray MD :

How long has this lesion been there?

Customer:

em i'm guessing a few days

Anthony Bray MD :

OK, weel if only a few days then you are more likely looking at an inflammatory reaction to something. It might be the insect bite type of scenario.

Anthony Bray MD :

A malignant lesion is not going to change THAT fast...

Customer:

oh i see, ok so i should only really be worried if i suspect any changes ?

Anthony Bray MD :

You might apply some hydrocortisone cream to it and watch it. I suspect this will resolve completely if it has suddenly appeared...

Customer:

ok so would it be ok to leave it for a while to watch it before going to the doctors ?

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes, that would be fine.

Customer:

or less / more ?

Anthony Bray MD :

If this just sudeenly appeared then I don't think that you need to worry about a malignancy. If this had a steady irregular growth then that could be a concern. I gues the other possibilty to watch for would be an infection. So soreness, expanding redness would be to watch out for in this regard.

Anthony Bray MD :

If this is simply a reaction to an injury or bite then it will likely resolve with a week or so.I think mainly just keep an eye onit and see what it does over the next week or so and this will determine if you need to have it looked at or not.

Customer:

oh i see, so what if it just stays the same? then is it unlikely to be anything serious ?

Customer:

like stay the same for a long period of time kind of thing ?

Anthony Bray MD :

Right unlikey anything serious if it remainss the same. Sometimes people will notice something on their skin that has actually been present for a long time but it happens to be in a place they they do not usually inpect very closely.

Customer:

oh i see ok thank you i needed to put my mind at rest

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome!

Anthony Bray MD :

If you should have further questions then I will be happy to get back with you.

Customer:

ok thank you :)

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best regards

Customer:

yes they have thank you :) can i just ask one more question?

Anthony Bray MD :

Sure

Customer:

the only reason i am concerned is because i had used the sunbed a while back but dont use them anymore, although i have dark hair, dark eyes and tanned-ish skin

Customer:

or itch?

Customer:

or can they sometimes not feel like anything?

Anthony Bray MD :

I see. Yes that would increase risk somewhat.

Customer:

yes that is why i was concerned

Anthony Bray MD :

They (cancers) may change over time (gradual > weeks to months) may have unusual peeling , hardness, irregular borders, may itch or bleed but you are right they do not always present with symptoms that people notice.

Customer:

oh i see so on the occasions that there are no symptoms, is it normally just a lump?

Anthony Bray MD :

If the tanning were moderate and not to the more intense then this plus your skin type I would say that you should not be at a very high risk still....

Anthony Bray MD :

Well squamous cell cancer is likely a rough scaling patch of skin, A basal cell is more often a pearly pink lesion. These are more common on the face in high exposure areas.

Customer:

i dont think it would be scc, if anything perhaps bcc but its on my sides .. so perhaps not

Anthony Bray MD :

Right, I would doubt that it is likely to be that...

Customer:

thats all i wanted to know so i'm going to press accept :)

Customer:

thanks again

Anthony Bray MD :

OK thank you!