TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.
13956133

This question falls in the category of CFS/gastrointerology.

I have been suffering from CFS and adrenal exhaustion for quite some time. In addition to undergoing a myriad of tests to unearth some possible causes, I recently had a comprehensive parasitology test administered, and I'm trying to interpret the results. Hope you can add some insight. I was low in the beneficial bacteria, Lactobacillus species. I have high levels of Enterobacter cloacae and Klebsiella oxytoca and finally, yeast (1+), not candida. I am working with a doctor to figure out how to approach this. Add a different type of probiotic to my supplements? Take an anti-fungal? both? How does one typically deal with the higher levels of potential pathogenetic bacteria?

Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 3 years ago.

Hello midpoint-

The testing that you had is generally not considered standard.

All the organisms you describe are normal intestinal flora- including Enterobacter, Klebsiella and yeast.

There are literally tens of billions of bacteria for every gram of stool, and so taking a probiotic supplement has only limited impact on the bowel flora counts. As an infectious diseases doctor, I would not attribute your symptoms to results such as you note, and would strongly state that there is no scientific support for using an antifungal-

Higher yeast levels in your stool may be from anything including antibiotic exposure in the past several months, hormone levels or oral contraceptives, or even related to your serum glucose. But there is no credible science that links yeast levels to chronic fatigue.

Having said all that, if you do have "irritable bowel", or "small bowel intestinal overgrowth", a short course of an antibiotic called rifaximin ( Xifaxin) may help somewhat in improving symptoms. But in most the benefit is transient only.

Good luck.

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your response.

Are you inclined to think that I may have irritable bowel or small intestinal overgrowth? I wonder if I should see a gastrointerologist.

The enterobacter cloacae and klebsiella oxytoca were flagged as 'potential pathogens' on my test results, which is why I wrote you -- was looking for some added insight as well as some recommendations about next steps. In any event, I'll talk with with my Doctor. -- that's the way to go at this point.

In stool, Enterobacter and Klebsiella are considered normal flora.

Sure they are potential pathogens in blood- but so are any bowel bacteria.

And no- I did not mean to imply you necessarily have bacterial overgrowth- That can be diagnosed with quantitative cultures from the small bowel, or a Hydrogen breath test. A stool culture is not useful to suggest that diagnosis at all.

In other words I would question the lab interpretation that these are of any concern. Again this is not likely from a standard lab as it would not have been noted as abnormal.

I hope that helps.

Good luck.

Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,

TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience: 17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Infectious Diseases and Internal Medicine.