Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

Julia only, Hi Julia I spoke to an eye dr. here online & he

Julia only, Hi Julia I spoke to an eye dr. here online & he said that it should be okay unless I have like a dark veil coming over my vision, more floaters, or constant lightning. I have an appt. for the 17th. He talked about migraines I have had them in the past. I went online & there are eye migraines that are silent, but have visual disturbances like the lightning sparks. I haven't slept much in the last couple days & I have had a faint headache. I also broke my glasses a few weeks ago, and made my appt. for the 17th.
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 3 years ago.

Hi Beth,

I read what the eye doctor said and completely agree with his recommendation. When I read your question, I thought you have been getting these lightening bolts for several hours so I am glad to hear that they were present for just 1/2 hour and didn't come back.

I know I didn't answer your question fully (about the bolts). Would you like me to send it to the customer service department so you can get a refund for that question? I feel bad that I couldn't give you more of a precise information. Just let me know.

I have bad migraines few times per month but I don't have any visual changes with them. It is possible that you had an eye migraine which only had eye symptoms. In any case, I am happy to hear that it went away. Lack of sleep can definitely bring on a migraine as well as many other things and not having glasses will cause you to strain your eyes more and that can also cause a headache (more of a tension-type headache).

So let me know about the refund for the previous question. I will be going to bed soon but will log in tomorrow morning.

Talk to you then,

Julia

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Heavens no, I don't want a refund, you help me out all the time, and there was nothing wrong with the answer you gave me! I was just worried that I should go ASAP, and thought I would ask an Eye Dr. here. It's so hard for me to leave the house, so I called my eye dr., but he is not in til next Tues. Like I said I hadn't got much sleep, I got her up was making her breakfast when I had this sharp blue jagged light appear, my eyes were tired, & I wasn't fully awake. It was no more than 1/2 an hour, and then it was gone. I have had a headache on & off all day, especially when I bend over. I never heard of eye migraines that caused visual problems, & were silent, but they are real. I also read that mostly the flashes will be in darkness & not the light with a RD. I hope I don't have anymore, and this can wait til the 17th. I remember having a couple light flashes one was years ago, and nothing showed up, the next was 2 or 3 years ago, I think sweat got in my eye, but it wasn't lasting & I never went to the eye dr. This eye thing was pretty big & scary. But I would think it would be reoccuring not just this once if it was serious.

How are you feeling this morning? Did you get some sleep? Any more occurrences of these flashing episodes? How is your headache?

When I get migraines, the only thing that helps me is 'Excedrin Migraine' which consists of Tylenol, aspirin and caffeine. If I don't take it early enough into the headache, I become dysfunctional for 1/2 the day. So I carry it with me everywhere I go since I never know when the headache is going to hit me.

You are right, if it was serious (like retinal detachment), you would continue getting these symptoms, they wouldn't go away within 30 minutes so I am pretty sure you are in the clear.

Years ago (7, I think) I did Lasik eye surgery to get rid of glasses - it was the scariest thing ever but turned out to be the best thing I've ever done for myself. My vision was ridiculously bad and I hated glasses :)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good afternoon Julia, I haven't had anymore of the lightning bolts, I don't know if I said this, but it wasn't flashing it was a steady light that I was seeing it didn't go on & off it just stayed in my vision til it left is that considered a flash of light? I did get more sleep, my headache is gone so far. I thought about Lasik surgery, but I have astigmatisms in both eyes, and didn't know if it would help. That is the only eye issue I had were those my eye dr. didn't say if I was nearsighed or farsighted. I don't have a dark veil coming down over my eyes or the sides. When I go into a dark room or have my eyes closed I don't see any flashes of light. I know that heavy lifting can cause a RD. My aunt isn't heavy, but when she tries to drop to her knees & things like that it's dead weight so there is more strain on me. My uncle said his eye dr. told him when he use to do heavy lifting he could tell from the eyes. I hope I don't have anymore episodes, my appt. is in a couple weeks. Tell me something if by a chance I did have a RD would I be able to go back to lifting my aunt right away? I pray I don't cause I don't have anyone to help me out, but if I went blind in an eye that wouldn't help either.

I honestly don't know about lifting right after RD surgery. My assumption would be that you won't be able too until healing occurs but it would probably not be too long. I am sure your aunt has medicare and medicare will cover home services where a care-taker can come to help you out but honestly, I dont' think you should even be worried about it because you don't have RD!!

I had astigmatism as well and my vision was like -9 and Lasik worked beautifully. Surgery works well unless you have bifocals, with bifocals they can only fix either near- or far-vision but cannot fix both.

I will be logging off now because I have to leave work. I will be back on sometime late this evening.

Talk soon.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Home care services won't spend night & day like I do only 5 hours a day so that is really nothing. So far no more light spark. The light spark I saw that lasted 30 mins maybe less would you consider that a flash of light what do you think may have caused it? I have another question I was doing some house work & I got really weak, I had taken my iron pill this morning, & I ate something & also a soft drink, but I got that really weak feeling after taking my pill & eating doing some housework. I checked my BP it was 110/70/86 & later it was 110/70/85 pulse on the end. Any ideas could this be symptoms of perimenopause? I really hate getting older I was never sick & now it seems I have a new thing popping up every other day. My life the way it is probably has a lot to do with it the stress I have taken care of my aunt for 12 years & 3 of it I was also working a stressful job. Today I have a band of pressure around my head plus this weak feeling.
Hi Beth,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. It was finally a nice day in Chicago and we went to the gardens to enjoy it.

The band of pressure around your head sounds more like a 'tension-type' headache. It is usually caused by stress, lack of sleep, tiredness and sometimes it just happens. I don't think it is at all related to the episode of light spark that you had.

I honestly don't know what the flash of light was caused by. But since you haven't had any accompanying symptoms (loss of vision, curtain, pain), I don't think there is even an explanation as to why it happened.
Weak feeling that you had could have been due to several things - just overall exhaustion, dehydration (if you don't drink a lot of fluids), lack of sleep. I don't think this is at all a symptom of premenopause at all, I think it has more to do with what you do everyday. Your blood pressure and pulse was perfectly normal, I am sure your blood counts are ok as well.
We all have a new thing popping up here and there everyday. We just need to learn how to ignore those little things and not let them worry us. But sometimes it is hard to do. I had a tetanus shot few months ago and my arm hurt me for like 3 months after that. First I ignored it but than it started to worry me so much that I went to get an x-ray, thinking the worse. Thankfully nothing was there and was finally able to relax. Pain went away after like 4 months.
I think you need a day where you can take for yourself and just rest. You don't even need to leave the house, just sleep and read and relax. But I understand that with you being your aunts' primary caretaker, it is a challenge to do.
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Julia sounds like you had a lovely day. I was thinking maybe I was dehydrated, but I have been so tired all day I took 2 naps with her, but I am still tired. I wondered about my blood tests there would be no way to know if my white blood counts were high unless I had an infection or something right? I still worry about leukemia, but I would think by now I would be having more symptoms. I hate those tetanus shots, I had one when my hair got caught in the machine, but it didn't bother me that I remember. My aunt had one when a stray cat scratched her when she was sitting in the yard a few years ago, when she was still able to walk. I am having trouble getting someone to come so I can get my eye test, I have dealt with this for years, so that is why I cancel appts & never go anywhere. We had caregivers come in years ago, but they quit after 1 or 2 times, they didn't want to take care of my aunt cause she was too difficult combative. I would just go back in the bedroom to sleep & each and everyone of them would wake me up to go see to my aunt, and there were at least a dozen different ones. So I just said forget it, I am not getting any rest when I have to still get up & see to her, and they expect to be paid. It was more hassle than anything. I also wanted to know if when they take a ct scan does it show all your inner organs if they have masses or anything? When I had one done last year there was stuff on there, that no Dr. talk to me about I just happen to get the reports & read over them myself. I would get them tonight, but I don't have the energy to maybe I can ask you some of it tmo. It showed I had a small renal stone, sigmoid diviticulosis, narrowing of the spine in one place, and it said a bunch of other stuff I can't remember.

Good morning Beth,

There are some days when you feel more energy then others. Sometimes it even depends on the weather and on those magnetic fields scientists always talk about. I hope you are feeling better today. I feel tired all the time now. I start work at 7:00 am and get up 1-3 times per night when the baby cries. People who haven't seen me since the baby was born tell me, "Oh, you look like a new mom, there is a look to you now" and I always laugh and say "Is that because I look so tired?" :)

In terms of your white blood cells - there is no way of telling until you get another blood test done. Not all infections raise white blood cells either. But the elevation that you had was very minor, with leukemia numbers go into 50,000 to 100,000. There are other symptoms such as night time sweats, weight loss, not wanting to eat, enlarged lymph nodes.

CT scans will find tumors and masses but we don't recommend doing routine CT scans just for that reason because CT scan gives off a lot of radiation so they should be reserved to be done only when very necessary. If you find the report, let me know and I will be happy to interpret it for you. Sigmoid diverticulosis is very common and is of no concern, narrowing of the spine is also common and unless it causes significant neurological problems (which I know you don't have), there is no concern about it either.

I totally understand your point about a caretaker. No one will ever be able to be as good as you are yourself to someone you love.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good morning Julia, I never had kids, but I took care of one of my nieces. I could have been married a couple times, but it didn't work out for one reason or another, by my doing. Taking care of my aunt is like taking care of a baby, & it is exhausting, I feel for you having to work & take care of your baby so much through the night. You need naps as well :) I did that for 3 years work full-time come home take care of my aunt plus all the other things and it got to be too much. I never got any rest or sleep. I almost wreck my car a few times, from just being so tired & not alert............so you need to be careful! Narrowing of the spine can cause neurological problems? Mine was in one place, I will have to get that paper & get back to you later today. i also had whiplash & never got it really corrected, my neck will catch where it leads up into the back of my head. I think I told you about that in one of my questions.

I have been trying to be careful. Sometimes, during lunch time, I will take a power nap which helps a lot.

Sometimes, if the narrowing in the spinal canal is severe and it is causing impingement of the spinal cord, it can cause neurological problems (like weakness in one leg, numbness and tingling in one leg, trouble with gait, pain). Now I probably gave you too much information to worry about :) Definitely read me the report and I will interpret it for you.

Yes, you mentioned about the catching of the neck before but usually that has more to do with tensed muscles and some arthritis than anything else.

I hope you are taking Calcium with Vitamin D supplement for bone strength.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Here is what is said.........There is a tiny left renal calculus. There is a 4 x 2 calculus at the right ureterovesical junction producing mild obstructive uropathy. Diverticula of the simoid are present. There is a small hiatal hernia.

The other abdominal, pelvic, & retropericoneal structures are unremarkable. There is no mass, lymphadenopathy, inflammatory changes, free air or free fluid.

Marked Inerspace narrowing at L5-S1

This was done when I had the kidney stone & was in so much pain, I passed the one in the right kidney.

I was just wondering if this would have showed like any type of breast masses or tumors as well since it showed all that other stuff? Since it seems it took that whole part of my body I was wondering what all would have been seen.

I do have that sciatica that we talked about where it hurts in my lower back down my legs with a little numbness, that comes & goes.

Julia I found this online

Some people experience flashes of light that appear as jagged lines or "heat waves" in both eyes, often lasting 10-20 minutes. These types of flashes are usually caused by a spasm of blood vessels in the brain, which is called a migraine.

If a headache follows the flashes, it is called a migraine headache. However, jagged lines or "heat waves" can occur without a headache. In this case, the light flashes are called an ophthalmic migraine, or a migraine without a headache. That is exactly what I saw for about 20 mins, it was in both eyes when I closed my eyes, and I wasn't having a bad headache it came later, but it wasn't bad like the ones when I had to close my eyes & be in darkness!

Flashers

• Flashers are random occurrences of flashing white lights that occur as symptoms of retinal detachment. They can occur at seemingly random moments, or they can occur when you move your eye in a particular way. The lights can either be spots of white light, or they can be overwhelming flashes of white light that can temporarily blind you. As your case of retinal detachment gets progressively worse, you will begin to experience flashers more frequently.

The flashers have happen to me the last 2 days at least 3 times, very random & go away very quickly. It's a white small spot that appears at the bottom of my left eye. Now I am worried.

So the CT scan was done of the abdomen and pelvis. Besides the kidney stone which you passed, it also showed a small hiatal hernia which is basically a hernia between the stomach and esophagus and occasionally it can cause heartburn/indigestion. It is common and poses to concern. The CT scan would not be able to pick up any masses or tumors in the breasts, you would need a mammogram for that. The sciatica is probably caused by the narrowing of the spine and it acts up when you strain your back and cause additional inflammation in that area.

I am not an expert on eye disease so it is very difficult for me to tell you anything. The eye expert you talked to on-line said that your symptoms weren't of much concern, however, at that time you also had that episode once, now you are saying you had recurrent flashing. I still think that you need to see if you can get in to see your eye doctor in town faster than the 17th. Or at least call him tomorrow (you said he is back tomorrow) to describe him your symptoms over the phone.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Julia, well I went in to the eye dr. had an exam. The eye dr. I had went to told me I should get in right away, it could be anything or nothing the worst being a brain tumor, and I flipped out & started to cry, but couldn't see me until tmo. So I called around & went to another one, and she was on the last patient so she did me. She said I had a PV, that it shouldn't get any worse, but if I would see more floaters or flashes to call her & she would check me or send me to a specialist, but she didn't think it would get worse. She told me that she had a lot of people go in today for the same thing, I was like wow, and the receptionist said she could almost guess that was why I was calling she said it was so strange. I don't know why she didn't put those drops in my eye I thought that was odd, the lady that tested me for glaucoma forgive my spelling said that if she can see the eye clearly she doesn't always put the drops in or have me too. I figured with me having that eye flash thing she would, but didn't. She also said my jagged flash was most likely due to a migraine she said she gets them and you don't even need a headache I was like I never knew that til I read it online. So I ordred new glasses I go back in 2 weeks, but she didn't seem to think it was serious. I forget the long name for PV. I think that is the name she gave. She said the flashes i was seeing the dots was what it was.

Hi Beth,

I am very happy to hear everything turned out well and that you didn't wait to get seen. I don't know what PV stands for but it sounds like nothing serious.

If you have large pupils, the eye doctor did not need to dilate them as she can see the back of your without having to disable you and put the eye drops. I wouldn't worry about that. Interesting about the silent migraines, because of you I learned something new :)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Julia well I am glad I could teach you something new for once, lol that probably won't happen again! :) Here is what it is........ Posterior Vitreous Detachment (PVD) is a common condition which occurs in about 75 per cent of people over the age of 65. As people get older the vitreous, a jelly-like substance inside the eye changes. The central part of the vitreous becomes more liquid and the outer part (cortex) peels away from the retina. As it comes away (detaches) from the retina it can cause the symptoms of posterior vitreous detachment. But I am only 46 so it can happen earlier in life I read on other websites usually after the age of 40.

Many people are not aware that they have developed PVD but some notice symptoms such as floaters or flashing lights. Floaters can take many forms from little dots, circles, lines, to clouds or cobwebs. Sometimes people experience one large floater which can be distracting and make things difficult to read.

The flashing lights that occur are also caused by the PVD. As the outer part of the vitreous detaches from the retina it can pull on this light sensitive membrane, especially where the vitreous is attached quite strongly to the retina. The pull of the vitreous in these areas stimulates the retina. This stimulation causes the sensation of flashing lights since the brain interprets all stimulation signals from the retina as light.

Posterior vitreous detachment does not in itself cause any permanent loss of vision. Your visual acuity should remain the same that is you will be able to see just as you could before the posterior vitreous detachment started. You may have some difficulties to begin with because of the floaters and flashing lights though these do not cause permanent sight loss.

The only threat to vision is the small chance of a retinal tear leading to a retinal detachment.

It is important to stress that retinal tears and detachments are much rarer conditions and that very few people with PVD go on to develop either of these problems

So I hope this stands true that I won't develp a RD.

Very interesting, Beth,

thanks for sharing. Now I should be accepting your answer :)

I am sure you will be one of many people who do NOT develop RD. Its just good to have your mind at ease so I am glad you went to get checked out.

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant