CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I have a sharp, burning sensation on my right side of my waist.

I have a sharp, burning sensation on my right side of my waist. This only occurs if I bend incorrectly or while trying to exercise (like jumping jacks) and it will literally stop me in my tracks. I have no other pain anywhere else, nor do I have any issues urinating. I went to an E-Care facility and they performed an x-ray and said there were no kidney stones and that it "could" be shingles. It is a little swollen right where the sharp burning pain occurs when I move the wrong way (almost in the middle of my waist on my right side where a man's pants would rest).
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 3 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today.Is the pain on the skin or deep?

Customer:

It seems more or less right under the skin. If I apply pressure on the area, I'm fine. I can jump, bend, do whatever. But if I don't, it's a terrible burn

CamilleRN :

what if you run your fingers LIGHTLY over the skin in that area... does it hurt? Any redness?

Customer:

nope, none...and I can apply more pressure and no pain what-so-ever. It's only when I bend over on that side or jump around, or make an odd movement

Customer:

It's smack dab in the middle of my waist, right above where my pants are

Customer:

on the right side that is

CamilleRN :

Then I do not think it is shingles... shingles makes the skin very sensitive to light touch. When you are bending you are compressing something... when you are exercising this kind of pain that stops you suddenly is usually due to what is called a side stitch....... ( More info coming)

Customer:

yes, I am familiar with the side stitch but could a side stitch also occur a day after the workout? For instance, I worked out on Wed. Today is Fri, and I am still feeling the pain. I went to start working out this morning and I was warming up and felt the pain when I went to do a jumping jack

CamilleRN :

Side stitches are a muscle spasm of the diaphragm which is the muscle that separates the chest cavity from the abdominal cavity. Movement of the internal organs can pull and strain the diaphragm causing this pain. Most people get the side stitch on the right below the ribs.

CamilleRN :

yes it could

CamilleRN :

Here is an article that tells more about it plus tips on how to avoid it in the future:

CamilleRN :

SIDE STITCH

Customer:

see this isnt right below the ribs though, this is all the way down at the bottom of my waist, where my shorts fit

Customer:

Also, i'm not a runner. I practice a martial art called jiu-jitsu

Customer:

The side stitch symptoms do not fit mine based on what I'm reading

CamilleRN :

have you ever had abdominal surgery?

Customer:

None

CamilleRN :

that's good:-) Well... trying to think what could cause this..another possiblilty is when you compress your bowel with bending (?) or jumping around. How close to the liver?

Customer:

so just my measly opinion, but it reminded me of something that happened about 10 years ago...I was in a bad motorcycle wreck and had nerve damage in my arm. I'll never forget that burning sensation and this feels just like it. It's like someone is giving you one of those "Indian Burns" on your arm where they twist your skin in 2 different directions

Customer:

way below the liver

Customer:

would it just start like a day ago?

Customer:

the compressed bowel?

CamilleRN :

hummm.... now I know why the Doctor thought shingles... that is the EXACT description of shingles pain... except people say it is on the skin or right under the skin and it is almost always tender to the touch. Did he give you anything for this?

CamilleRN :

Bowel pain wouldnt feel like that it is more dull

Customer:

he said that if it was shingles, i would have some type of rash popping up and gave me valtrex to fill

Customer:

So it is right under the skin, the burning pain, but it's not tender to the touch

CamilleRN :

maybe you are in the earliest of stages. You are also so young for this.. but it still can happen...especially if you are run down or not eating right or stressed out.

CamilleRN :

Shingles really doesn't present with any otjher signs for most. Usually it starts with a tingling sensation that progresses to tenderness then burning pain... itching..pain

Customer:

Yeah, I just started modifying my diet to a really healthy one about 6 weeks ago. I am always stressed though!well, I might as well get the RX filled and take it...can't really hurt to just try it!

CamilleRN :

Yes, if it is shingles it will shorten the severity and duration.

CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.