Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

Is it safe to take a two week old baby out in public She is

Is it safe to take a two week old baby out in public? She is breastfed. I just went to the pediatrician and was told she is doing very and she was back up to her birthweight plus a few ounces.
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, It is highly advisable not to take a 2-week old baby out in public because of a higher risk of infection. Babies, even if they are breast fed, have not developed a full immune system and if such little baby catches even a cold, she would need to be admitted to the hospital, have IVs, have a spinal tap done. It is actually not recommended to take a baby out until the baby is at least 2 months old. After 2 months of age, their immune system is better and, even if the get sick, they would not need a hospitalization. So if it is avoidable not to take your baby out, please don't. It is not worth the risk. I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have. If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work. Best wishes and good luck,Julia
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What about to a family member's house with alot of family around? Like Grandma & Grandpa's.
That would be better then taking the baby to a public place (like a mall) but still make sure that if anyone has a cold, that person has to stay away from the baby and needs to wear a face mask. Also make sure everyone who comes in contact with the baby cleans hands with soap and water and then uses a hand sanitizer. My baby is 6-months old and we did take him to grandparents when there were other people there but everyone was asked to keep clean hands and not to cough/sneeze around the baby :)Good luck. Julia