Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

I have an intermittent stinging sensation near the right side

I have an intermittent stinging sensation near the right side of my ankle. Is there anything I can do for it like soaking it in hot or cold water? Put something on it? The stinging sensation has woke me up. What do I do. Can make an appointment with a foot specialist.

Thanks,

George Saufley Email XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Could you tell me if this stingling sensation you are describing feels more like itching? Do you feel like you want to scratch the area? Or does it feel like pins and needles?

How long have you been having these symptoms?

Thanks,

Julia

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
A combination of itching and pain

Is there a rash? any redness? warmth?

How long have you been having it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is no rash, redness or warmth. Started several days ago. Made it harder to go to sleep last night. Is bothering me now. Mire intermittant pain and itch as the same time.

Thank you for your reply.

One of the possibilities is that you can be in the early development of shingles which is basically an eruption on the skin secondary to a chicken pox virus (which you probably had in childhood). Often before the eruption breaks out, it may be accompanied by pain and itching in the area where the rash will actually come out. If that's the case, you will need to see your doctor as soon as you see any eruption on the skin (in the area of the ankle). It is crucial to start the treatment within the first 48 hours once the breakout occurs.

If you never get the breakout (which can occur anytime between 3-5 days after itching/ pain starts), that means it will not be shingles. I would recommend that you use Hydrocortisone 1% cream 2-3x daily on the area of itching/pain. Hydrocortisone cream is available over-the-counter but sometimes you may need something stronger.

So if there is no break out on the skin and if Hydrocortisone cream will not relieve itching/pain, you might need to see your doctor for a prescription anti-inflammatory cream. I don't think doing warm water baths will help at all.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck.

Julia

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss