Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss
23717712

Here is my MRI on my right shoulder joint..doctor didnt

Here is my MRI on my right shoulder joint. Can you tell me what it means since my doctor didn't.

Moderate to severe hypertrophic changes to the right acromioclavicular joint are noted. There is a downsloping of the acromion with impingement on the rotator cuff tendon. Evaluation of the rotator cuff tendon reveals minimal signal abnormality at the musculotendinous junction of the rotator cuff tendon compatible with mild to moderate tendinopathy. No discrete tears are noted. Subchondral cyst formation in the humeral head is noted with mild to moderate osteoarthritic change.
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The results of your MRI mean that you have a lot of arthritis in your shoulder joint as well as inflammation in the tendon of the rotator cuff (tendinopathy) due to it being impinged within the joint.

The treatment usually consists of intense physical therapy to relieve impingement and improve strength and mobility as well as anti-inflammatory medications such as Ibuprofen, which you have already been taking. Occasionally you might need to get a short of cortisone (steroid) into the shoulder to improve inflammation.

Physical therapy usually works wonders for your condition so I would strongly recommend you try to do that first.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia