CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I have a weird pain in my throat, neck, chest and shoulders...

I have a weird pain in my throat, neck, chest and shoulders... it started when I kinda hurt my neck doing a bad move I guess. went from neck to throat on first day, then next day I was hurting on left shoulder and now as I type this both my shoulders hurt as well as my chest, it's a really weird feeling. the pain in neck is almost gone aside from when I turn my head to the right.

Pain is worse when bending forward, laying down or breathing hard... especially the throat/chest part.

What could this be? I've read a few things including stuff about Phrenic Nerve or anxiety, but I have no clue
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. This sounds like a muscle spasm in your upper back that can radite to the neck..the shoulders as well as the chest area. This often happens from reaching backwards.. like if you are in the car reaching to put something or grab something from the back seat. The remedy for this is alternating heat and cold compresses, ibuprofen and a cream called TOPRICIN which is available only at health food stores and the internet. Topricin works by encouraging lymphatic drainage and increasing blood flow to the area, which is neded for healing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You didn't mention anything about the throat area pain, I'm usually not worried at all about muscular pain in shoulders/neck, but its first time I get this weird pain in the throat that amplifies when breathinghard or laying down.

That pain prevented me from sleeping last night except from like 1hour sleep cycles here and there...

is that connected to what you are talking about?

this pain started the same day I hurt my neck
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 3 years ago.
yes, it can be... this can also be a symptom of a problem with disk in your upper back. If it does not improve with the alternating heat and ice, ibuprofen, Topricin and rest, see your Doctor for an examination and treatment.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 3 years ago.
What were you doing when this happened?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was just sitting at my computer... but I've used Amphetamines that day to work on a project and I read that it constrict blood vessels, could all that have been related to the use of that or is it just coincidence?
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 3 years ago.
The chest pain in this case can be irritation to the area around your heart.. I know it is an uncomfortable situation, but if this doesn't go away on it's own, and it likely will.. then you really need to see a Doctor to make sure there isn't a bigger problem. Please don't worry too much... but do be aware that there are known issues of methamphetamines and heart problems.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 3 years ago.
In my experience in the emergency room the majority of methamphetamine chest pain cases presented with pain within and hour to 4 hours of use.. and in 95% of the cases the patients recovered fully over a few days ( had pain only, no cardiac damage) . But there is the 5% that don't. Since this has been a few days ago, it's possible that you have cardiac irritation. Don't take that stuff again PLEASE.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how long should I wait considering this is 3rd day now?

it wasnt meth btw, just adderall, just to clarify I ain't some junkie even tho I used it without prescription...

I appreciate your time, I guess Ill wait... I usually do that with most problems, but when I can't sleep cause of something I start to worry. last night was the first night it prevented me to sleep however. Hopefully this is the worst part of all this and it will soon go away.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 3 years ago.
I never thought of you as a junkie.. and I understand. How are you NOW?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
right now I have a mild pain in right shoulder and still got that throat thing when bending forward or laying down (even tho I didnt try that here at work).

so basicly shoulder pain come and goes, but the throat pain is there 24/7 if I was to lay down 24/7 since when I'm sitting and not over breathing that pain goes almost unnoticed.

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 3 years ago.
Can you go to a health store to get the Topricin? I think this will really help you. IF it's worse lying down, don't lie down.. that position is aggravating it and the less aggravation the quicker it will heal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll look around if I can find it here in Quebec Canada....

well should I not sleep in a laying down position? sounds like that would suck
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 3 years ago.
YEs, if it is painful to lie down... try sleeping on the couch sitting upward. oh goodness... check on the internet. In the meantime... try this for anxiety:

Anxiety can cause alterations in breathing patterns and it may be that you are holding your breath or breathing too rapidly which can cause fatigue and chest tightness. It will help to.initiate proper breathing. To abdominal breathe ( which is a much more effective breathing technique) place one hand on your abdomen and one hand on your chest... watch to see which rises. It should be the abdomen, NOT the chest.Practice breathing using your abdominal muscles... (to breathe with chest muscles causes fatique and more shortness of breath) by taking in a deep breath through your nose.. making sure only the hand on your abdomen moves, slowly.. and exhale slowly through the mouth.. your abdomen should flatten with exhalation.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yeah topricin doesn't seem available in any Canada stores...
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 3 years ago.
You can order it here:
TOPRICIN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.