Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

having some problems with my pregnancy that seem unusual

I am having some problems with my pregnancy that seem unusual, and i am considered to be "high risk". One symptom is, I have strange scaling, cracking, blistering and itching on one foot, and even those toe nails are cracked, leathery and itchy. Anti fungal aids did not improve it, pedicure didnt help neither. The foot is causing me much discomfort and wont heal up. I'm also struggling to "function" like a normal woman should. I'm feeling intense pain frequently due to the over active baby in my belly... causing me sleeplessness, nausea, and depressive thoughts and moods. can you give me any advice to help? i want some comfort and releif from anxiety. the overactive baby in side me in addition to the cumbersome foot pains and itches has me feeling so anxious and miserable.
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

I apologize that you have been waiting to receive an answer for so long.

I am so sorry to hear that you have been so miserable during your pregnancy. My baby is 6 months old and I can definitely relate to some of the things you are going through.

Unfortunately, as you said, there is nothing that can be done about the overactive baby. Since Ambien is helping you, you can continue taking it as needed, same applies for nausea medication, you can take as needed. Zofran is very effective for nausea. Usually nausea goes away after 1st trimester but in some women it persists throughout the pregnancy. There are also medications which you can take for acid reflux - I took Tums on daily basis. You must make sure that your OB knows about your depressive symptoms, there are medications available (safe during pregnancy) to treat depression. Once the baby is born, depression may get much worse (called post-partum depression) so please address this with your OB early on. Otherwise it is a waiting game, as soon as the baby is out you will feel better.

In terms of your is possible that you have a fungus infection on your foot which is not responding to creams. Sometimes you need oral medications to treat a moderate-to-severe fungal infection. But since there is no definitive diagnosis, you might need to get a biopsy or a scraping from the foot to confirm presence of fungus. If fungus is not showing up, biopsy will direct the treatment. I would recommend that you see a dermatologist for evaluation but in the meantime, I would recommend that you use Eucerin ointment (available over-the-counter) on the foot and cover it with a sock (especially at night). This will help trap the moisture and provide some relief from the cracking and scaling.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Hold on tight, your misery is temporary. Its all worth it when you see your baby for the 1st time.

Best wishes and good luck,