Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

What can cause a low neutrophil and high lymphocyte in my CBC

What can cause a low neutrophil and high lymphocyte in my CBC? Everything else is normal/within range except for these two. I had CBC 3 months ago and it was all normal. My doctor asked me to have the CBC test because i noticed some kind of a small lump in the right side of my neck inches above the collar bone. I searched the web and what i read are really terrifying like leukemia etc.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

Internet is a very deceptive resource which would put the uncommon conditions as the foremost. Without a background medical knowledge this is difficult to precess and take in right perspective. Thus lot of anxiety can ensue. Lymph nodes are our body's first defense mechanism and infections are the commonest cause of their enlargement. Tonsils are lymph nodes and they enlarge because of infection. We do not first think of cancer, if they are enlarged. A lymph node enlargement with low neutrophils and high lymphocytes point to a chronic infection. A tuberculosis is one of the possibility. Doing a test called as aspiration biopsy cytology (ABC) would confirm the cause of it's enlargement.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the information. My physician also asked me to do chest x-ray. The results says that there are suspicious opacities demonstrated in the left upper lobe superimposed with the osseous structures. Does it mean that they found like tumor/mass? Im quite puzzled if it's TB because I haven't been coughing. I am really worried about the results that i have.

With your counts, involvement of upper lobe, lymph node enlargement, young age, resident of Asia; tuberculosis would be the first diagnostic consideration. An ABC of lymph node, high resolution CT scan (HRCT) of the lung or a PET scan would clinch the diagnosis.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun