A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I have a solitary phlebolith in the left hemipelvis. I have

Customer Question

I have a solitary phlebolith in the left hemipelvis. I have had pain for over 3 years in this exact spot. I keep going to dr. After dr. For this. They are mow recommending a vein specialist. Would you see a vein specialist for this? Can they cause pain for this long? I always have blood in my urine and now I am starting to pass little like tissue type things that are very painful. Whatbis your suggestion to do?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. A phlebolith is a calcification within the wall of a vein. It is seen by a vascular specialist if it is symptomatic. Generally they are harmless and cause no symptoms. They can be a symptom of having another disease though such as a hemangioma (a benign tumor) in the colorectal area. They are sometimes difficult to differentiate from kidney stones depending on where they are.