Nurse Mandy
Nurse Mandy, Nurse
Experience:  LPN since 2000. Experience in Orthopedics, Dermatology, Cardiology & Ear Nose and Throat
8050997

Low Hemoglobin, Hematocrit, mcv, mch, mchc and High RDW. What

Low Hemoglobin, Hematocrit, mcv, mch, mchc and High RDW. What disease COULD I have?

Hello

Thanks for using justanswer.

These all finding are consistent with iron deficiency anemia. You can check serum iron levels and total iron binding capacity ( tibc) to confirm it. After confirming it you should be started on iron supplements. You also take iron containing foods in excess like beans, dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach,dried fruit such as raisins and apricots, eggs, iron-fortified cereals, breads and pastas, peas, poultry, red meat, and seafood etc.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Low Iron is the simple answer. What else could be the problem?

Okay.

There are various causes of iron deficiency anemia like chronic or acute blood loss, decrease intake in diet, poor absorption and worms infestations etc. Your treating physician should keep in mind all these things while treating you especially if you are taking iron in diet in sufficient amount already and there is no obvious blood loss. In that scenario stool for ova, cysts and for occult blood should be checked. Then you may need the specific treatment of the cause leading to iron deficiency anemia along with iron supplements.

Thanks and do let me know if you need any other informations regarding this question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I forgot to enter from the 2nd page of blood work. High Glucose, High Sodium, Low creatinine, and Low Chloride.

Ok.

Please give me the detail report of glucose, sodium,creatinine and chloride with values?

Please tell me your age and sex as well?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Glucose 218 H ..... (65-99 range)
Creatinine .49 Low (range .60 - 1.20)
Sodium 27 High (6-22 range)
Chloride 93 low (98 - 110 range)

female age 55

Okay

Well these reports does not seems to related to your iron deficiency anemia. However glucose levels is high especially if it is a fasting blood glucose level and it should be reconfirm if not already after discussing this report physically to your doctor. While creatinine levels are not significant.

Regarding sodium and chloride; Are these urinary tests values?

What complains you have other then pallor?

Please also tell me the blood sodium levels? Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
all the blood test above were fasting blood tests.
Recent CT Scan shows arthritis in all 7 vertibraes and also an enlarged thyroid with a mass that is going down toward my breastbone.

I am concerned because I have one brother who had leukemia and eventually had to have one kidney removed and then one side of his thyroid. Another brother has suffered with degenerative artitis of his neck and spine but he spent his life jumping out of planes for the Army and has had many injuries to his neck and back.

I have always held a safe office job, have had no injuries, and all these problems just occurred at the same time. So, I am trying to get someone to tell me if that is a concidence or if they are all tied together somehow.

I am opting out from this question, so that some other expert ( who have more experience regarding this) can help you. Thanks

My name isXXXXX you for using Just Answer. I am happy to try and help you with your concern.

Your back issues would not be related to the other symptoms you have. If your parents or siblings had issues with their back, so will you. Back pain is the 2nd most common reason people visit the doctor, with the 1st being headaches. It would be a separate issue from your anemia and thyroid problems. There are several treatments available for back pain including medications, physical therapy/exercises, injections and in some cases surgery.

Being that your glucose is high, have the doctors given you a diagnosis of diabetes? Untreated diabetes can lead to kidney complications which can lead to anemia. If it is diabetes, the anemia should correct itself once the diabetes is treated either with diet or insulin.

Since you have a mass on your thyroid is your thyroid working properly? You should have your thyroid levels checked including blood work called a TSH & T4. People who have hypothyroidism (under active thyroid) are more likely to develop iron deficiency anemia. Regulating your thyroid to work correctly with medications should help with the anemia.

Liver disease can cause your bone marrow to stop working or work at a slower pace which can lead to anemia. Once again, once this is resolved the anemia should as well.

If you are worried about leukemia, you would have to have a bone marrow biopsy done to rule this out.

You also need to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy done to make sure you are not bleeding internally either from a tumor, polyps or tears.

If your spleen is enlarged and it basically destroys good blood cells, this can also lead to anemia. Sometimes the spleen has to be removed in order for you blood levels to return to normal.

There are some cases where you bone marrow just quits working and does not produce new blood. The treatment for that is blood transfusions or injections of growth hormones.

My suggestion to you is to see a hematologist. Take copies of all of the blood work you have had recently. They will most likely order further blood work, an ultrasound of your spleen, liver & kidneys and probably a colonoscopy/endoscopy. If they are worried about Leukemia they will order a bone marrow biposy to rule this out (and ease your mind).

I hope this has given you some ideas of what could be going on. If you have any further questions let me know. Good luck to you, hope you feel better soon. Have a wonderful day.

Nurse Mandy, Nurse
Experience: LPN since 2000. Experience in Orthopedics, Dermatology, Cardiology & Ear Nose and Throat