Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

i have a sharp pain in my right side of my chest when i breathe

i have a sharp pain in my right side of my chest when i breathe in and when i cough. i also for a few days now have felt as if there was something stuck in my chest

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Customer:

hi

Anthony Bray MD :

It sounds that you may have pleuritis. This is inflammation between the lung and the chest wall. Normally these surfaces glide past each other like butter on Teflon but sometimes an infection may cause some stickiness to occur. This will cause some pulling with a deep breath of cough.

Customer:

would that not have been noticed today when i had my chest listened to?

Anthony Bray MD :

This can be cause by a viral infection of the lower respiratory tract in which case the lungs may sound clear and the chest x-ray may be clear. It can sometimes be a symptom of pneumonia which would need treatment with an antibiotic.

Anthony Bray MD :

It can be missed on exam if they just listened to your lungs. If only pleuritis then this does not make much sound but a "rub" may be heard near the spot of inflammation.

Anthony Bray MD :

Another possible cause could be a strain of an intercostal muscle.

Customer:

what about the sensation of something stuck in my chest feels lke a bout of heartburn

Anthony Bray MD :

That may be related to reflux. That sounds to be of a different nature. Sometimes a person with a history of reflux(heartburn) can develop a stricturee in the esophagus and food can get stuck at the point of this stricture.

Customer:

i am currently taking lansoprazole for acid reflux. how do i clear this sensation?

Anthony Bray MD :

You might try drinking some fluid and see if this helps. You might try some Mylanta if this does not clear it and see if that makes any difference.

Customer:

so in summary you dont think any of this is serious or heart related? i am a bit of a worrier

Anthony Bray MD :

Well your description did not sound heart related. Do you have a sense of pressure and do you have risk factors for heart disease?

Anthony Bray MD :

If you have recurrent trouble with heartburn despite the medication you take and have trouble swallowing (feeling like certain things get stuck like meat for example) then I would recommend that you see a gastroenterologist to check into that further....

Customer:

i am overweight yes and currently taking lansoprazole, bisoporol, sertraline, lipitor and bendroflumiaziade. no real pressure no

Anthony Bray MD :

Well use your best judgement and common sense if you think you may have heart related symptoms then go to the ER and have it checked. It is better to be safe...

Anthony Bray MD :

The language that you used did not strike me as being typical for a descriptiuon of angina..

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you.

Customer:

my doc listened to my heart also and said she heard no irregular sounds. my bp is currently 130/85 with resting hr 69

Anthony Bray MD :

Well all of that sounds good. Your BP was high normal .

Customer:

you think this too high?

Anthony Bray MD :

This alone would not rule out the possibility of heart disease however. At 42 you would not be considered very high risk.

Anthony Bray MD :

No it is not too high. The 85 is high normal. You want it 85 or less in other words...

Customer:

ah ok thanks again for your time