Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

Best antibiotic for tooth extraction after tooth is removed

Best antibiotic for tooth extraction after tooth is removed give names of a few you recommed.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 5 years ago.
Hello
Welcome to the Just Answer Website.I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:

When was tooth extracted?
Is there any discharge in tooth?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tooth was removed last wedhnesday april 13 2011 im not sure about tooth discharge tooth had alittle hard deposit on one side but looked like calcium rest of tooth looked fine all around dentist said tooth was putting presure on other teeth
Thanks for the info given.

Penicillin and clindamycin are 1st choice antibiotics for dental infections. Metronidazole can sometimes be useful but only attacks a narrow range of bacteria and is usually used for anaerobic infections such as wisdom tooth gum infections, and usually in conjunction with a penicillin.

Erythromycin/azithromycin is usually not recommended for dental infections because it is bacteriostatic (stops germs growing) rather than bacteriacidal (kills the germs). So I advice you to consult your dentist for other antibiotics like Penicillin or clindamycin .

Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Regards-
Dr.Charles
Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What about amoxacilina 500mg or cefalexina 500mg its keflex in a genaric form would that work better then what has already been taken?

Amoxicillin (Augmentin): 250 mg three times daily for ten days is a much better choice. If one is allergic to penicillin, clindamycin would be a better choice. Cephalexin/ keflex is not very effective & is not a good choice for dental infections.

Regards-
Dr.Charles
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What is your expert training in dental field of medicine or is it internal medicine and not dental at all.

I am a verified expert of just answer website for medical & health category. Dental is one of the category of health for which I am authorized. Antibiotics are not available as OTC & you need to make an appointment with your dentist. This is the reason I advised you to consult your dentist.

Please do not forget click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Regards-
Dr.Charles
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do not tip on advice Thank You

Thankyou for using just answer website.ice working with you.