Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

Me again, this is about my wisdom tooth I had 3 pulled in my

Julia only please, Me again, this is about my wisdom tooth I had 3 pulled in my 20's the dentist didn't take out my lower right one it wasn't giving me issues then, but of course now over the last few years it has bothered me with some soreness. Last week I told you I was having some jaw numbness & ear pain, I had that again last night, but this time inside my mouth where my wisdom tooth is there is some stiffness, the tooth itself is not sore the gum just a little, could all that be related to the wisdom tooth? Does it sound infected? I don't have any pain or swelling inside my mouth or on the outside. I started with the warm salt water rinse.

I doubt that it is at all related to the wisdom tooth that you had pulled such a long time ago. Also, it would be extremely unlikely to have an infection there. Usually with a tooth infection there is a lot of pain in the mouth, not just some numbness or stiffness.

I really don't know what it can be from but I would just wait and see if the symptoms continue. Sometimes TMJ can cause some soreness in that area (inflammation in the joint of the jaw) but I doubt that anything is going on.

I think if your symptoms continue, you should see your dentist to get it checked out but only if the symptoms get worse or don't go away after several days.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Julia, I guess I worded it wrong I have my bottom right wisdom tooth still. My dentist pulled 3 of them, but left my right one cause it wasn't giving me issues.

Oh, I see. I completely misunderstood your question. Sorry...

Yes, if the wisdom tooth is still there, it can cause some problems but I would think symptoms would be worse then what you described. When mine got inflamed I had a lot of pain, the entire right lower side of my mouth was numb and I had a lot of swelling. My tooth was inflamed and infected so it was pulled out 3 days later. Maybe with early inflammation it wouldn't cause such severe symptoms so I would suggest that you see your dentist if the symptoms don't go away in a few days. Sometimes our good old friend Advil can help initially if there is some inflammation caused by the tooth so maybe you can take a couple of pills today and tomorrow to see what happens. The rinses you have been doing are ok too.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't have any swelling or severe pain like I remember with the others. Well honestly I only remember pain with left lower one the other 2 at the top weren't giving me issues he just pulled them. I have aleve I took last night. I just have that little stiffness inside my jaw & sometimes up the jaw into my ear, but nothing terrible that I can't stand at this point.

Sorry, I was with the patient and couldn't respond.

I agree, I think it would be better to wait and see how symptoms progress (if they will at all) and then take it from there.

I don't know how much Aleve you take, but it is safe to take 2 Aleves at a time when needed (just make sure you have something in your stomach when you do that.

Ok, talk soon,