drknowsbest
drknowsbest, Doctor
Experience:  DO board certified family practitioner spec. in womens health
9384716

I was diagnosed with wrist tendonitis about 3 weeks ago. I

I was diagnosed with wrist tendonitis about 3 weeks ago. I have been in a brace and the pain seems to be gone when i wear it. When i take it off it slowly begins to come back. It looks like I have some swelling in my forearm as well.

Is this common? How long should this take to go away? What are the best treatments for this condition?
Category: Health
Expert:  drknowsbest replied 5 years ago.

drknowsbest :

tendinitis can cause pain and swelling for 6 weeks acutely but can become a chronic problem (meaning it lasts longer and may respond to the brace but due to a repetitive motion/injury/or weakness in the area can persist longer)-physical/occupational therapy is foremost

drknowsbest :

have you completed this yet?

drknowsbest :

the forearm muscles support the wrist and can swell in response to a heavier load from the weakness in the wrist

Customer:

Thereoy wasn't something that was discussed by my doctor. Is this something i can do on my own at home?

drknowsbest :

if it persists or gets worse i would discuss an mri with your dr as there are varying degrees of tendinitis and may need further testing

drknowsbest :

therapy is something you should ask for with your dr first

Customer:

ok, thank you. So you think just resting it will not make it better?

drknowsbest :

at home you can do some gentle tennis ball squeezes and then go through range of motion exercises (movement in all planes of direction) while holding a small weight-like canned veggies work well

drknowsbest :

dont go to the point of pain just to keep it mobile and tight

drknowsbest :

rest between

drknowsbest :

if no further questions please accept as then we can exit

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

this helps