CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

Pimples On Waistline. Should I Be Worried?

I am 28 years old and get these small boil-like-pimples on my waistline frequently (maybe once a month or every other month usually never more then 1 at a time) and I am confused why? They are usually small, sometimes I can pop them sometimes I can't. They eventually go away after awhile if they drain but why my waistline? The only other place I very rarely get them is my very inner thigh. I think that could be from friction. It seems abnormal to me and if anyone has an idea I would sure appreciate any info. I stopped the pill 8 months ago. I don't know if that has anything to do with it and I don't eat severe sweets. I occasionally have sweets but not everyday or anything. I eat lots of fruit though which has sugar but good sugar. I've done some research on this and I found a trend that overweight girls tend to experience this. I am overweight you can say, about 225. But what does weight have to do with this? Any help would be great!

The most likely diagnosis is dermatitis due to sweating in areas of close contact and reaction to the latex in the bands of the leg and waist. You can try washing with antibacterial soap, drying with your hair blower after towelling off and applying any OTC cortisone cream. If this is due to latex, I would expect that you would be bothered in every area where there is intimate contact with skin. It is unlikely that diet is instrumental in this. You might have to see a dermatologist to rule out certain skin conditions like molluscum contagiosum, other contact dermatoses, eczema or atopic dermatitis. If you stopped the pill because of this, it was a mistake. Good luck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the information. I did not stop the pill because of this. I was just offering any information that could be helpful. Can I ask if weight has anything to do with this? After reading many forums all the posts came from women that said they were overweight and also got these boil like pimples on their waistlines. Also after washing and drying the area would you suggest using the OTC cortisone cream frequently or can you suggest another type of preventative cream that could help?

Thank you!

I do not think weight is directly related, but people who are significantly overweight often have skin on skin contact where perspiration and warmth is an unavoidable side effect. This causes slight maceration of the skin and bacterial inflammation. Use the cortisone for any redness 2-3 times a day. Substitute an antibacterial soap in your tub. You can try light dusting with baby powder (cornstarch) before dressing.

Do you ever get these bumps on your armpits?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No I have never gotten them on my armpits but I have gotten them on very inner thigh almost next to my groin posteriorly. But I don't get them very often on my inner thigh. However it seems very frequent like at least once a month I get 1 boil pimple on my waistline. I never get 2 at a time its always only been 1 at a time. If I pop them usually a combination of blood/pus comes out and then after a week it goes away.It looks like a red bump exactly like a boil. No head usually forms with it like a pimple would on your face and I rarely ever get a boil on my face. I hope this helped.

It is possible that you have something called hidradenitis suppurativa.

HS is a chronic skin disease that affects areas bearing apocrine sweat glands and hair follicles ; such as the underarms, groin, waist, and buttocks, and under the breasts in women.

Here is a photo of what this looks like when it has healed:

Initially, they start as one or more red, tender, swellings. But after few days, these lesions enlarge and often open to the skin surface draining all of its yellow fluid.

There are Mainly three Clinical Stages of Hidradenitis Suppurativa:

• Stage 1: In the first stage, inflammation and pus is seen in single or multiple areas.
  • Stage 2: Single or multiple abscesses recur, possibly at widely separated areas of the body.
  • Stage 3: Here, throughout the area of the body, multiple abscesses develop.

Causes of Hidradenitis Suppurativa:

• The main cause of hidreadenitis suppurativa is enlargement in the sweat (apocrine) glands, either by perspiration or because incomplete development makes it difficult for them to drain properly. The trapped fluids are then forced into the surrounding tissue, causing inflammation and infection.
  • Heredity: People who have acne, also genetically predisposed, are more likely to develop Hidradenitis Suppurativa.
  • Individuals with tightly curled hair, such as those of African ancestry, are also at an increased risk of developing Hidradenitis Suppurativa.
  • Stress, the onset of the menstrual period, extreme heat or excessive perspiration are the main causes of hidradenitis suppurativa.
  • The abnormality in the secretion of hormones, may lead to the condition of hidredenitis suppurativa.
  • A disorder of follicular occlusion, may result in hidradenitis suppurativa.
  • Endocrine Factors - obesity, hirsutism and acne are common findings among women with hidradenitis suppurativa.
  • Cigarette Smoking - Hidradenitis Suppurativa has been seen to appear more frequently in smokers than non-smokers.

Symptoms of Hidradenitis Suppurativa:

• The inflammation of single or multiple areas and pus (abscesses) may be seen, which looks like acne.
  • The presence of hard lumps under the skin that are very painful to the touch and may persist for years. These lumps have the potential to become inflamed.
  • There are painful, rounded deep-rooted inflamed lumps. These sores heal either very slowly or do not heal at all, causing scarring. Bacterial infection is also possible.

Treatments of Hidradenitis Suppurativa:

• Hidradenitis can be controlled, but cannot be cured properly. Sometimes surgery is required to drain infected areas or to remove scarred tissue or even large areas of skin.
  • Topical Antibiotics are one of the best treatment option for curing hidradenitis suppurativa fast. It is applied over the affected skin.
  • Retinoids: These have been shown to be effective in some chronic cases of hidradenitis suppurativa.
  • Weight loss will also help in controlling hidradenitis suppurativa.
  • High-dose systemic steroids (eg, prednisolone 60 mg/d) are useful as adjuvant's to antibiotics, and they act by reducing the inflammatory process.
  • Systemic Antibiotics are necessary when the condition is flaring or when a patient is undergoing a severe case of hidradenitis suppurativa.
  • Tight-fitting clothing is to be strictly avoided.
  • Contraceptive Pills and the combination of estrogens with 100 mg of cyproterone acetate have been used.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your very informative answer. The picture you provided I would say is an extreme case to what mine looks like. Mine looks much cleaner when healed but when mine aren't healed the picture is somewhat accurate to what mine looks like, just a lot cleaner of an image is all I can say. If I have this, how do you recommend treating it when inflamed and then when healed? I read topical antibiotics is a great way to treat it. Is there something over the counter I can use like a cream, example Cortizone cream? Or is what I would need prescribed by a dermatologist. Any ideas you have of how to treat it would be great. Also, would you say mederma might be good to use to heal scarring? I have a tiny scar on my waist here and there. Nothing severe but I was wondering if mederma might be good to use to help it.

Thank you!

You are very welcome:-) Mederma may help with scarring but honestly I would recommend you see a dermatologist who will be the most able to provide you with a prescription cream to help.

CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.