Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

What is the first herpes outbreak in men look like, feel like

What is the first herpes outbreak in men look like, feel like and what can you tell me about a sore and the pain?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
The first outbreak in men (and women) can be highly variable.
Some people have minimal symptoms.
Other people have severe symptoms that include fever, swollen glands in the groin, multiple painful ulcers/sores and headache. With this type of outbreak, generally men feel ill--muscle aches and fatigue also are common.

Usually, the outbreak will begin 2-12 days after exposure (average of 4 days).

Herpes generally can look like fluid filled blisters but quickly become shallow ulcers or appear pustular (white).

Here are some pictures of genital herpes:

First is one that appears pustular:

http://www.simplexlove.com/herpes-pictures/genital-herpes-05.jpg

Second is one that is more ulcerating :

http://www.naturalskinrepair.com/images/genitalrashes.jpg

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok well mine doesn't look like that it isn't that red and its only one, i noticed it lastnight and i accidently popped it and it bleed just a little and then stopped and it looks like its trying to heal but keep trying to but won't ya know? it didn't hurt when it popped and doesn't hurt at all... its on my left testical is that normal and should it hurt or not?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Normally, herpes is painful.

You can get herpes on the testicle,
What did it look like before you popped it?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it kinda looked like a pimple after i popped it but i felt it in bed and got up and turn on the lights after i popped it shouldnt that have been very painful because it attacks the nerve right?... and noticed it bleed some... but what about the pain shouldn't i be feeling some kind of pain? and what else should i look for ?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Yes, you should be feeling pain. It would be highly unusual for a herpes sore to present without pain..however rarely they can be painless sores (again this is uncommon).

If it looked like a pimple you could pop, this does not sound like herpes.
You can also get ingrown hairs on the scrotum or cysts. This sounds more like what has occurred, not herpes given the lack of pain and the fact that it looked like a pimple.

Herpes will turn into an ulcer (like the picture above) most commonly and then heal after 7-10 days.

To reiterate, this does not sound like herpes from your description. Your doctor can swab the sore to check for herpes in order to confirm that it is not herpes if there is any doubt when examining you.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
God I hope your right :'( Thank you so much and i have already made a appointment. I have put peroxide on it and it doesn't hurt anymore than it would hurt putting it on any other wound... so is there anything else you can tell me before i let you go? like maybe the woman that i was with i didn't see anything on her at all everything looked very healthy but i know these things can be dormant how likely is it that i would have contracted it from her with out any open sores? an she is being very honest and has even started crying over this but she is possitive shes never had an out break being with the questions ive asked her...
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
The fact that she has never had an outbreak lessens the chance even more that this is herpes; it does not make the risk zero as women (and men) can have herpes and not know it.
It can be passed when not experiencing an active outbreak but it is less contagious at these times.

It is good to be checked out to confirm this is not herpes, which is what I think you will find out :)

Dr Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry to bother you again i know your busy... however could you send me a few photos of the ingrown hair of the testicals and at least one of the cyst*
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
It is not a problem :)

I cannot find a picture that shows one on the testicle..however ingrown hairs look the same regardless of where they are:

http://mixarticles.krpmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/ingrown1.JPG

I cannot find any pictures of a cyst. A sebaceous cyst normally looks white unless infected--then it gets red (and usually feels warm and painful).

Dr Abby