Dr. Nomi
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor,UK

Can an insect bite have a white center with a black bruise

Can an insect bite have a white center with a black bruise ring and swelling but no necrosis? The center of the bite is just white. The swelling goes from the tips of my fingers to right past my elbow. I was bit on my right wrist. I saw a doctor today he advised it is a spider bite, but he is not sure what type of spider. He gave a rx for an antibiotic, a tetanus shot, and advised I elevate it for several days.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 5 years ago.
Its most likely looking like a spider bite .Necrosis in the center is a hall mark of it but it usually develop after few days of bite as a result of toxic venom of spider.Treatment is through antibiotics and keeping the limb elevated .Because if the limb will hang down the blood will get pooled up in it causing increase in swelling.So better to wear some sling around the neck in the morning and at night sleep with arm elevated.