A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Can taking Zoloft and Buspar cause a false positive on a drug

Can taking Zoloft and Buspar cause a false positive on a drug test?
I tested positive for Benzos, Methadone, and Cocaine. I have not used anything except my prescriptions. Please Help. Thank You, Beth

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. What kind of drug test was it - a dipstick-type screening test, or was it sent to the lab for testing via GC/MS?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It was a urine drug test. It was not sent into a lab. I live at Hope Ministries and they drug tested me. I am not using drugs, I promise. I'm going to get kicked out if I can't prove I didn't use. The line for cocaine and the other drugs was very faint. Please help me, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Hi, Beth,

Screening tests are always supposed to be sent to the lab for confirmation testing via GC/MS because there are so many things that cause false positives for any number of "forbidden" drugs. Insist that they send a backup sample for testing, since a screening test isn't admissible for any kind of legal procedure.

The antibiotic amoxicillin is the only thing I've ever seen cause a false-positive for cocaine on a screening test. Most prescription pain medications, some cough medicines, Nyquil, and various antibiotics can cause false positives for various opiates including methadone. Sertraline (Zoloft) is known for causing false-positives in a screening test.

With GC/MS testing, there are no "false-positives." Every chemical has its own "fingerprint" so that no two will be confused for one another.

Here is a good source that you can take to your testing agency when you tell them that you want backup GC/MS testing. They should be well aware of these facts since they are standard through the medical testing field.