DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD

I have been diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma, 3.5 cm, which,

I have been diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma, 3.5 cm, which, according to my oto./neurotologist can't be treated with gamma rays. I will be seeing a neurosurgeon, as well, who will be working with him to remove the tumor. My hearing went in Feb., and tests show that I am profoundly deaf in the affected ear. My dr. did not explain why the hearing "never" returns, once it's lost. How specifically is the nerve affected that once it goes, it's gone. Isn't the nerve still living and with conservative treatment isn't it possible that it could return or improve? He said, "let's take the nerve, since preserving hearing is not an issue, here." I am presently having numbness in face, balance issues (which he says will improve with surgery . . .) and loss of taste in mouth. I have also read about a Chinese medicine Ambon, that has been successful in treating brain tumors. This is major surgery, so I need to make an informed decision. I was referred to "the best" in Phila., but I thought it wouldn't hurt to get additional opinions.
Category: Health
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 5 years ago.

I hope you have done an MRI, Can you tell me details of MRI Report?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, the first neurologist/oto drs. who saw me both ordered an MRI with contrast when I described my symptoms. The MRI clearly showed the tumor with cystic material around it. The second specialist I saw in the city specializes in these type of tumors.

Expert:  DR MED MD replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for all the information.

I can understand your situtation,

Considering your age surgery is the option for you.

Conservative treatment is often recommended in patients with small tumor and patients who are above 70.

In such patients regular checkup are required.

I know you are afraid of outcome of surgery but surgery is the better option for you.

One option is you can go for radiation therapy first of no effect then you can go for surgery.

But if your surgeon feels surgery is option for you should go with this.

These are slow growing tumor. If it grow more it can compress brain and other nerves also.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My specific question is why won't my hearing return?

Expert:  DR MED MD replied 5 years ago.

There is possibilty of damage of nerve during surgery which can prevent return of hearing.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

One more Question, Dr. AM. Tests show that my hearing is practically gone on the affected side. According to this doctor, no matter what they do, it will not return. Is the nerve strangled or dead that removing or shrinking the tumor won't matter.

Expert:  DR MED MD replied 5 years ago.

Tumor occur in the nerve itself.

There is no normal conduction left your tests are showing.

This is the reason chances are minimal / nil for hearing to return to normal.