Nurse Mandy
Nurse Mandy, Nurse
Experience:  LPN since 2000. Experience in Orthopedics, Dermatology, Cardiology & Ear Nose and Throat

My skin feels hot but I feel cold. Also having a hard time

My skin feels hot but I feel cold. Also having a hard time holding food down. What could it be? Just a fever? Or something more serious?

My name isXXXXX you for using Just Answer. I am happy to help you with your concern.

You may have a stomach virus or stomach flu. These are treated pretty much the same way.

Things you can do: most importantly stay hydrated. Water is ok but Gatorade or ginger ale would be better. Gatorade will help replenish electrolytes that you are loosing and ginger ale can help settle your stomach. You can try taking some Peptobismol for your stomach. If you are having diarrhea do not take anti-diarrhea medications as it is more important for your body to get rid of what ever is causing you to be sick. Rest as much as you can, you will probably want to take a day or two off work for rest and not to spread germs to co-workers. For the fever, Tylenol is the best thing. When you are hungry and feel like eating, start off with clear fluids like broth and Jello and work up to a BRAT diet which is bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. Once you are able to tolerate this and keep it down you can progress to a diet as tolerated. If your symptoms do not improve or become more severe within a few days then make an appt to see your doctor or go to a walk in clinic to make sure it is not anything more severe. Once you are well, wash all your bed linens and cloths you wore while sick and use anti-bacterial wipes to wipe down the surfaces of your home to make sure you do not reinfect yourself or others. I hope this has helped. Feel better soon!!