Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice

i have been having symptoms for a week or two now but they

i have been having symptoms for a week or two now but they have gotten more severe in the last few days. it feels like i am swallowing sand, my throat feels swollen closed almost and it also feels like there is a thick layer of mucus in my throat. i have tried a humidifier, drinking lots of water, throat lozenges, nasal allergy spray, allergy pills, cough medicine...nothing has worked. i am on my 2nd night without sleep and i cannot get into a doctor until morning. what is this caused by and what can i do??
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
dear customer,

do you have fever or difficulty in swallowing?
did you take any antibiotics?
did you consult a doctor yet?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is slightly difficult to swallow. I can do so but not without pain. I haven't taken antibiotics in a few months and I have not been to see a doctor yet as I cannot get in until tomorrow.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
Dear customer,

Thank you for the information,

As per the symptoms it seems that you are suffering from sore throat.The inflammation of the upper respiratory tract may cause swelling and such sensation.

It may be caused by bacterial or viral infection.The oral antibiotics are needed to control the bacterial infection.The commonly used antibiotics are augmentin, azithromycin, septran, etc.

The drugs like motrin, advil may be taken to control the pain and inflammation.The warm saline gargles are also helpful.You may start the warm saline gargles and take otc drugs like motrin till you visit the doctor by tommorow for the prescription antibiotics.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

thank you