A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

My husbands elbow is very sore to the touch right on the tip.

My husband's elbow is very sore to the touch right on the tip. It is one red or swollen. He works on the computer slot and is right handed. his right elbow. Any ideas on what it is and how to stop the soreness? It does not hurt if he just bends and straightens his arm. It's pressure on a specific spot right on the tip og his bent elbow
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. This sounds like it might be olecranon bursitis. That is irritation of the olecranon bursa (a fluid-filled sac) that cushions the elbow joint. It is common in students who lean on their elbows and in adults who do a lot of repetitive movement activities. Treatment is rest of the area, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication (Aleve, Motrin), ice for 15 minutes several times a day. If it doesn't help soon (a day or two), your husband will need to see his medical provider for aspiration of the bursa and instillation of cortisone to relieve inflammation.