Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

my heart and feel my pulses and she says my heart is beating

Went to my doctor two days ago with palpitations and my heart was beating fast but regularly when examined. I have been referred for EKG and Echo because the beat was tachycardic and did not slow down even when I was lying down. I had a nurse friend listen to my heart and feel my pulses and she says my heart is beating way too fast. I'm a bit breathless also and I got very short of breath just now going up the stairs and my heart is beating very fast
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
dear customer,

did you have the ekg or 2d echo of heart done?
are you taking any drugs?
what is your heart rate at present?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, I'm waiting and could be for up to three weeks.

I take no medicines.

Heart rate now just by counting 190 and I feel short of breath

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear customer,

The normal heart rate is between 60-100 bpm.The heart rate of 190 bpm is really very high and should be treated on urgent basis.

Since you are also having shortness of breath so you should not take it lightly.You should consult the doctor/emergency and have the ekg and blood pressure checked.

The urgent treatment of the underlying cause is necessary.The antiarrythmic drugs will be helpful in such cases.

Let me know if you need any more information

thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am alone in a foreign city right now. What should I do? I am very frightened. I am finding it very difficult to breathe-is this my heart or asthma which I have too.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
dear customer,

The bronchial asthma may also cause difficulty in breathing and can be treated with inhalers and nebulisation along with steroid injections in some cases.

The heart rate of 190 as you said should be ruled out and you must consult the emergency doctor and get it checked to rule it out.

The EKg is a few minutes test in emergency and can detect the abnormal heart rythm if any.You mau have the ekg and bp checked in emergency and rule out the tachycardia.The abnormal heart rythm may also cause such symptoms.

Its my advice that you consult the emergency doctor at the earliest and rule out the severe tachycardia if you have any.

thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What should I say to the emergency people? My pulse at my wrist or carotid is incredible - I can't count it...my chest feels tight and I feel short of breath
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
Dear customer,

You say what problems you feel right now.You also tell that my heart rate have been higher for some days.You should also tell that you are also a known bronchial asthma patient.

The ekg may be advised by the doctor at the emergency if your heart or pulse rythm is found to be abnormal.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The doctor I contacted says it will be an hour tbefore they can come and see me. Ambulance the same. I have just has two breaths of my ashma inhaler but I am even more breathless I am jsut sitting over trying to get my breath and my chest is painfully tight but not like with asthma. I cant feel y pulse
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
PLease help me my heart is skipping beats I can feel it in my chest really irregular. and I'm gasping for breath like something is on my chest
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
Dear customer,

As i already told that you consult the emergency doctor for the urgent treatment.The antiarrythmic drugs might be required if your heart is not in rythm.

Consult the emergency doctor as soon as possible as this site is not meant for emergency situations.

Thank you