Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

What causes a single vertical line on earlobes I have this

What causes a single vertical line on earlobes? I have this on both earlobes and a friend pointed this out to me. She said it means something heart related.

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

There seems to be a lot of talk out there about vertical lines on the earlobes these days. I've seen questions pop up on here from time to time because of a few websites who took the 'lines of fingernails theory' and went a little far with it. Now, there is some validity to lines on the fingernails and it's correlation to health conditions but not the earlobe. I promise you that if you went to a Cardiologist, the first thing he did would NOT be to check your earlobes. Tell your friend that you appreciate her concern but would not put much faith in this theory at all.

To rule out any cardiac anomalies, I would have your Dr do a EKG and chest xray and blood work to start with...if nothing is found, your Dr may just want to monitor you every 6 months to one year to ensure you are doing fine....otherwise, additional testing may be suggested such as a cardiac stress test or various other test.

Try not to worry about the theory. I would not put a lot of faith in it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Within the past year, I have been to the dr regarding swelling of my left ankle. I was placed on water pills. In Dec I had my annual physical. all blood work came back fine. I have been concerned regarding thyroid but through this blood work it was fine. I still have the swelling sometimes worse than other times, am gaining weight, feeling tired/exhausted all the time. I have had a heart echo, cardio scan with results being fine. the next test they want it the stress echo which I had 2 years ago with normal results. Today my friend noticed the lines in my earlobes. ?? family history of heart disease. I will add I've been dealing with allergies, headache and ringing in ears. Not sure if this additional info will change your answer. I guess just primarily needed guidance as to which avenue I should persue. Cardio or ENT. Had carotid artery surgery in 2008. right side 90% blocked. Have doppler scan every year.

Hi there

Sounds like you are very proactive in your healthcare and have been/are being followed closely by your Dr(s). Sounds like you have explored the Cardio a good bit, I would see the ENT for the for tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and the allergies...they will be able to help you a great deal. Your headaches might be related to your allergies as well.

Not sure all of the things listed correlate because they are rather non-specific (meaning, they could mean anything from allergies like you listed or swellling in the one ankle due to possible vericose vein problems). I agree, anytime someone has cardiac issues in their family history, it is always taken into consideration -especially when someone presents with the symptoms you have listed, but it does seem like your Cardiologist is on top of things. As far as how it changes the answer, I still do not think the earlobe lines have anything to do with a cardiac issue but do think you could see the ENT dr for some follow up on the allergy stuff.

You mentioned gaining weight...how much have you gained and in what length of time?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My dr says I weighed 194 a year ago. that surprises me because I thought it was 184. This past visit I weighed 204. All of my clothes are getting "smaller". I don't have a good exercise routine in place. But can just "feel" the added weight. No changes in eating habits. avoid red meat...primarily eat chicken and salads. with a little cheating on the side. I appreciate your info. will just continue to touch base with drs.

10 lbs in one year (assuming one year) is really not much at all. Just cut your calorie intake down to about 1300-1500 per day if you are sedentary and this should help. Even though your eating habits have not changed, your metabolism might have...so, just watch what you eat.

Good luck with everything!