A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Does constant coughing cause nose bleeds?

What would cause a nose bleed when coughing? My Mom has a constant cough, and she coughs so violently lately that her nose bleeds. Could this be from a busted blood vessel? Is it serious?

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. The small vessels in the nasal mucosa are very delicate and can burst from violent coughing. So can the vessels in the eyes resulting in subconjunctival hemorrhage. If it is a frequent occurrence, she needs to be examined by her medical provider. She needs that anyway since a constant cough is not normal. Bleeding can also be from a lack of blood platelets which a simple blood test would check.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you! That was basically what I told my Mom, and she is going to see the Dr on Monday.

Glad to hear she has an appointment! Have a good weekend :-0