Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

I slipped on some water on my tile floor and fell very hard

Customer Question

I slipped on some water on my tile floor and fell very hard hitting my upper back, (thoracic spine)and lower right buttock . The breath was completely knocked out of me and I could only croak for a minute or two. That was yesterday and today I continue to have a lot of discomfort.. I thought with movement, I would have improved. The pain and discomfort is getting worse. I have taken aspiriin to decrease inflammation. I am 71 years old and very healthy, on no medications. Should I worry or just let nature take its course. Usually a Dr. will say things like it is musculoskeltal and dismiss you even if you in dire straights, so I limit my exposure to physicians to ever 15 to 20 years.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I am sorry to hear about your pain.

There is one most important thing you need to consider that can you walk normally without much discomfort or severe pain. if you cannot then definitely an xray would be worthit to exclude a fracture but if you can walk otherwise then less likely to be fracture and more likely to be muscular. In that case instead of aspirin you should take over the counter available Tab Aleve twice daily for two to three days and apply Advil Gel locally on the area of pain. Ice packing will also give benifit. If no improvement or worsening is seen in next three days then you should see a doctor but hopefully you will be ok .

Take rest too.

I hope this helps you.

Please ask of any query

Click Accept if i have answered your question.

i wish you good luck for a recovery.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't quite understand your answer. Why would I have trouble walking when the fall was to my upper back, thoracic spine, not lumbar or pelvicI also thought you used cold or ice the first day to decrease inflammation, then used heat after that to increase white cell circulation to injured area. Why is Aleve better for pain and inflammation than aspirin.