A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I finished last night a 14-day regimen of clarithromycin (500/2x

Customer Question

I finished last night a 14-day regimen of clarithromycin (500/2x a day) for walking pneumonia, which has helped me tremendously.

A friend has now told me though that I cannot take any antacids or antidiarrheals for the next month, as it will make me prone to something called "C. Difficil," which will send me to the hospital...? She said it happened to her mother a week after finishing taking clarithromycin, and she still suffers....

Is this true? I know within this next two weeks I'm due to get my menstruAl cycle, so I might have to treat heartburn or diarrhea due to PMS--can I not do this?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Sometimes taking antibiotics for an infection will kill off friendly gut bacteria which allows Clostridium difficile (C. diff) to overgrow and cause significant diarrhea. It is more common in people who are immunocompromised before taking the antibiotic. Antacids and anti-diarrheals have nothing to do with it.

Ignore your friend's well-meaning but inaccurate advice.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ThAnks for responding. Just to clarify--if needed, I can take an antacid or antidiarrheal during pms if needed and not get this? I notice on even my pharmacist sheet it gives mention of this c.difficil...
You can take an antacid or an antidiarrheal. The warnings are for C. diff symptoms that you develop while taking an antibiotic, and in just the short while thereafter (a week at most).