Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

Im a 36 year old female and am having trouble swallowing food

Customer Question

I'm a 36 year old female and am having trouble swallowing food and sometimes liquid. It actually gets worse as the day goes on. I do have GERD and take Nexium in the AM for it. I have no problem in the morning taking my meds,but something happens in the day and it gets harder to swallow my food. I try to drink water after every bite and take small bites, but sometimes it just won't go down.

Thanks!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just answer!
I would like to get more information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

How long have you been experiencing these symptoms? Is it getting worse? Any wt. loss, anorexia, night sweat, tiredness? Any ongoing throat infection? have you been evaluated for this problem?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's been going on for about 2-3 weeks, but getting worse in the last week. No signaficant weight loss, night sweat or tiredness. No sore throat or infections all year. I do have a yearly physical in a month.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the information. based on your description you are not showing any alarming features at this time. However, difficulty in swallowing can not be ignored specially when it is getting worse. Since you have history of GERD, it can cause scarring and narrowing of esophagus leading to difficulty in swallowing. There are many other potential cause, but GERD related problem would be the likely cause in your case. You can read more about it from this link. Click on different icons to view details.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/difficulty-swallowing/DS00523/DSECTION=causes

You can discuss all these things with your doctor and get proper evaluation and investigation to confirm the diagnosis.

Press "ACCEPT" button if my answer was useful to you. This is the only way I can get credit for my time with you. I am still available to help you if you have any follow up question.
Thank you for visiting just answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Why do you think it's worse as the day goes on? I have a yogurt and granola for breakfast every morning and never have an issue with that. But as the day goes on, all foods get harder to swallow.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the follow up. Without proper evaluation it may not be possible to pin point the cause. GERD related problem is the likely cause, but neurological problems and problems like myasthenia gravis can also affected swallowing and must be investigated as your symptom become worse gradually over the course of day.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this cause for alarm?
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Not an emergency, but you certainly require a proper evaluation and investigation to make final diagnosis so that it can be taken care appropriately.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome!
Thank you for visiting just answer.