Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

I burned the roof of my mouth on a burrito yesterday and it

Customer Question

I burned the roof of my mouth on a burrito yesterday and it really hurts....today i have been spitting out blood....im nervuos that its not coming from there, but i think it is? I dont have any other symptoms, except a slight stomach ache, which is i think from worrying or swalloing blood....its not a ton, but when i spot its some blood.....
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to Just answer!
I would like to get more information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Is it a fresh bright red blood? How much is the quantity? Do you have any lungs symptoms? Any heartburn, belching, bloating? Any pain when you press in your upper abdomen? Do you see blood every time you spit? Any blood with coughing/vomiting?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes its fresh blood.....not tons, but bloody sputum..... no lung symptoms......i belch a lot as i have GERD. I take prilosec.....

a little pain but not bad.....just feels full.....not every time i spit, but a lot of the time...just today....

no blood with cough or vomit

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the information. Spitting fresh blood or fresh blood with sputum suggest that blood is coming from oral cavity or respiratory tract. Blood from stomach are usually dark in color. Although most of the time small amount of blood are not that serious, but proper evaluation and investigation is always required to pin point the exact cause. There are many potential cause randing from infection, foreign body, trauma to tumor. You can view the complete list from this link.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coughing-up-blood/MY01064/DSECTION=causes

Since you started getting little blood just today and you do not have any past history of lungs problem, I would still think about oral cavity related blood. If your blood is coming mixed with saliva then oral cavity related blood is a likely possibility. However, if your blood is coming with sputum, then a proper evaluation would be appropriate to pin point the cause.

Press "ACCEPT" button if my answer was useful to you. This is the only way I can get credit for my time with you. I am still available to help you if you have any follow up question.
Thank you for visiting just answer.