Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

I think i may have shingles. I have a rash on my back under

I think i may have shingles. I have a rash on my back under my left shoulder blade. It itches and burns. I have had nausea over the past few days and hve felt very tired. I just put this down to having a 5 month old son but am worried i may have shingles as the rash isnt going.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.

Does the rash have a blister-like appearance to it?
How long have you had the rash?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can i send a photo? It appeared on monday and has white bumps on red inflamed skin.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Yes, you can either try attaching a photo using the paperclip or you can upload a photo to and send me the link.

dr abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago. bumview/albums/Aliceszulc/image.jpg.html?pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2S82KuK3lBiPqlqknq1OqGdOBYFDlNs1mUoJ%2FSS9d5EsTii8dotz2WxhMJyhUY7XGgr7FxFao%2B2JvMc7gWVwsxvvDLyA%2B1b9Uq%2FJQVFl8JNVZEOHxTHJ%2BZ42bXPFl%2F8e6bcdqX8UH33iSlVmG%2BzrZi0%3D
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
The link is not working....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Yes, that worked.

That is highly suspicious for shingles.
I strongly recommend that you get it looked at and start treatment as soon as possible.
Because you have a five month old, your baby can catch chicken pox from the rash. You need to keep the rash covered and not touch the rash at all.
The main mode of spread of shingles is through direct contact with the rash. There are rare instances where it can be spread through respiratory droplets... however this is mainly to people who are immunosuppressed (ie cancer patients, HIV).

The sooner you start treatment for the rash (preferably within 72 hours of the onset of the rash) the better in order to prevent complications--mainly persistent pain after the rash resolves.

Again, your baby can catch chicken pox from this rash. Wash hands frequently, keep the rash covered and do not touch it.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!