Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

This is a preliminary reort I got from an MRI I had yesterday.

Customer Question

This is a preliminary reort I got from an MRI I had yesterday. Could you interpret?

1. Interval Development of new intraforaminal disc herniation on the left. A small left intraforaminal extrusion is now seen a comma contacting the exiting left L5 nerve root. No frank compression of the left L5 nerve rootis demonstrated. However, this is a potential cause of for left L5 nerve root irritation. Clinical correlation for left L5 radiculopathy is recommended.

2. otherwise, stable pattern of multilevel degenrative change and associated spinal canal and foraminal stenoses. Again demonstrated are spinal stenoses at L3-L4 and L4-L5 levels, as described above, unchanged.

This MRI was was looked at and I think compared to another one I had in 2009. Mach was a T1.5??
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 3 years ago.
OK.

1. This says that you have a new disc herniation, in the nerve foramen - -where the nerve exits the spinal column to start to head into the leg.

This is hitting the left L5 nerve root, and could cause irritation of the nerve.

If this is causing you symptoms, it would be left buttock, back and outside of the thigh, into the shin, and the top of the foot. If you are having those symptoms, it could be from this disc herniation.

2. You also have other levels of narrowing and arthritis in the spine. You have narrowing at two particular levels, as noted, which can cause "pinching" of the nerves, and can cause symptoms that radiate down the legs, such as worsening leg pains after walking long distances.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Doctor. I would like to know what remedies are out there if this is ok with you?

Forrest
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 3 years ago.
If you have already tried the physical therapy and injections, and still having severe symptoms, you would probably be a candidate for surgery and decompression of the nerve roots.

You should see a neurosurgeon for evaluation.
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience: U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I forgot something important. I noticed you are a Neurologist and should have told I do have Multiple Sclerosis, Relapsing Remitting and am taking Copaxone.

I did not know if this changes any part of your diagnoses.eciate your time.

Forrest