Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience:  7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss

back..blood..same day the rib or muscle around the heart area hurts

Customer Question

hi i have ask a question back little while ago my and thank god everything come out fine.....
im a very active runner i been running and playing soccer i dont have any type of breathing problems and or none of the stuff. well recently i had suffer from anxiety and panic and maybe depression. well they just did the blood work unrine test everything is normal.... thanks god, my question is that they also did a ekg and they said that it was abnormal so, they did a ecosound and a stress test was done the cardiologist was amaze he did not see nothing abnormal they said not to pay attention since im a runner it will cause my ekg to be like that..... well ever since they did the the ekg ultrasound and stress test, the same day the rib or muscle around the heart area hurts when i move it, and the ekg patches sings are still there i was wondering how long will it take before the marks of the patches to come off, and will the ultrasound made the a sorted area thats why it hurts, thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Julia Kizhner replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

I am glad to hear that the tests which you had all came back normal and that there is nothing wrong with your heart.

The redness from the patches can take a couple of weeks to go away. Some people may have a skin reaction to the glue that is used on the patch which is why skin turns slightly red and may itch. You can use Hydrocortisone 1% cream (available over-the-counter) to speed-up how quickly the redness disappears. But it is of no concern and it will go away on its own even if you don't apply anything on it.

In terms of the pain in your rib cage...yes, it is very common after an echocardiogram to have rib cage pain. Because of the pressure applied during echocardiogram to visualize the heart, there might be some inflammation in the muscles of the rib cage. Your pain is typical for a muscle inflammation and will go away on its own within a week or two as well. You can take an anti-inflammatory medication such as Aleve or Advil and apply an ice pack to the area of pain to speed up the healing process.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please do click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia

Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Experience: 7 years experience working in Primary Care as well as Gastroenterology, Sleep Medicine & Weight Loss