Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

If you smoke cigarettes, about how long will that be able to

If you smoke cigarettes, about how long will that be able to be detected in a blood test?

When testing for nicotine, the test most commonly done is called cotinine, which is a metabolite of nicotine (ie a product of nicotine's breakdown)

This can be detected for 7-14 days (usually closer to 7-10 days) after last use of tobacco (any type of tobacco, not just cigarettes).

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
For an ordinary, routine check-up, is this something that is tested for on a routine basis or something of a specialty request?
Is this for a physical with your own doctor or for a job physical/life insurance?
If this is for a routine check with your GP, it is not a routine test and would have to be ordered specifically. It is not usually done when doing blood work for a physical exam.

If you are having a physical for life insurance, though, then it would be a standard test.

Dr Abby