A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Hi, im a g6pd deficient male who is currently in a weight loss

Customer Question

Hi, im a g6pd deficient male who is currently in a weight loss phase of his life, I have been bodybuilding for 10 years and have worked extremely hard to pack on some muscle and still struggling to see results. this is important to me because i want muscle mass to assist me with a better metabolism in the future, i was 167kg and mostly fat, im down to 150kg but would love some musce to help with my metabolism so i can lead a healthy life in the future by keeping the weight off. I'm considering taking anabolic steroids and am not sure if this is dangerous in people with my deficiency, its really hard to pack on muscle and even my doctor wont answer this question for me (I don't think he knows the answer) Having a direct answer will greatly help me explain to my doctor that g6pd inhibits muscle hypertrophy (so i have been told by someone i had asked one day, could u please affirm this) this would make it legal for the doctor to administer and supply me with testosterone injections and monitor my progress and if you could tell me which anabolic steroids are ok to take in g6pd deficiency that would be fantastic. PLEASE HELP.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Taking anabolic steroids is dangerous for everyone, whether they have a preexisting medical problem or not. Increasing risks of 'rrhoid rage, testicular atrophy, and risk of cancer should be enough to make every sensate individual stay away from this practice. Proper eating and exercise (both aerobic and strength conditioning) is all any person needs to increase muscle mass and improve metabolism. Testosterone injections are only used for men who are deficient in testosterone.

A deficiency in g6pd means that the person affected has problems making an enzyme involved in carbohydrate processing, The same enzyme protects red blood cells from being processed normally and can lead to hemolytic anemia. Whoever told you about the muscle hypertrophy was talking through his hat. A lower carbohydrate diet that is in the correct calorie range and exercise are what you need to take off the fat and put on the muscle.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for attempting to try and answer my question, most of the information you have provided is common knowledge to me, as for the muscle hypertrophy I know there is scientific studies suggesting g6pd inhibits smooth muscle hypertrophy (I know this does not mean skeletal muscle, thus giving some merit I suppose to what was said to me) As for anabolic steroids, this is my main concern, either way at some point i intend to take them so I'm in need of information in regards XXXXX XXXXX anabolic agents are ok with g6pd deficiency (since g6pd is an important enzyme in the support of anabolism in the body) Very Simply put. What Steroids can someone with g6pd deficiency take without causing hemolytic anemia as a result of my red blood cells being destroyed (hemolysis)

I know anabolic agents / steroids are bad for you but this is what I want to know otherwise paying for answer wouldn't make much sense if all I'm going to be told is the conventional stuff that all doctors advice on.

I need an answer that I can take away from here and do as i please with it, I'm not asking for an opinion on if i should or shouldn't take them, if they are good or bad for people or how to achieve muscle gains with the drug free approach, ultimately it will be me decision what I do with the information provided to me, so I need to know from a scientific / medical stand point. Can someone with g6pd deficiency take steroids without having to worry about hemolysis / hemolytic anemia, if so which steroids if not all steroids.

Thanks a Million

You asked "can someone with g6pd deficiency take steroids without having to worry about hemolysis / hemolytic anemia, if so which steroids if not all steroids."

The answer is no.

Did you ever wonder why it is that anyone with any scientific knowledge will not recommend anabolic steroids? It is because studies have shown them to be dangerous. You will do what you want to, of course, but I won't condone it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, Great now we are getting somewhere :)

Now all I need is a reason / explanation as to WHY someone with g6pd deficiency can not take anabolic steroids with g6pd deficiency to show credibility, I definitely don't want an answer which has no scientific backing / explanation, could you please advice me on the scientific paper / research paper or medical journal stating this information. A simple NO is as you would put it "talking through your hat" that or could you scientifically explain what happens when an anabolic agent is introduced to the body of a g6pd deficient individual, what pathways does it interact with, what enzymes begin, I have had cortical steroids administered in the past for an injury, with no known side effects, if these substances can be administered, I'm thinking other steroidal substances may also be OK, Why I cant get a scientific response to my question is beyond me.

I an opting out. I don't have time for this kind of blather.