Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

With part of his colon removed his bowels are very unpredictable

I live with my 92 year old father and his wife. He suffered a stroke 11 years ago and depends on a walker for balance. With part of his colon removed his bowels are very unpredictable. (A toilet nearby is a priorty.) His wife provides emotional and some physical support (bathing, clothes changing, etc.) I cook meals and drive for them. He eats well. He can sleep most of the day and usually through the night with momentary confusion. He seems fatalistic and somewhat depressed, as most of his family and friends have died. Is it wise to prod him to take rides in the car, and dine out? In general, what course of action do you recommend?

Dr B :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr B :

He is likely suffering from depression, which may induce memory loss in the elderly, and the best thing you can do is have him treated for depression it will likely help his overall health